Upgraded Cassette / Chain

borderraider
borderraider Posts: 52
edited June 2013 in Workshop
Hi

The chain and cassette on my Trek 1.2 need replacing, I use the bike daily for commuting so I'm not at all bothered about weight but some longevity would be good.

My question is, is worth spending a bit of money or should I stick with the Sora / Tiagra level?

Shaun

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Well you'll have 9 speed so Sora (or equivalent from SRAM etc) is about the best you can do as Tiagra and above is 10 speed.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Higher-grade parts like cassettes and chains don't neccessarily last longer, but typically have more durable finishes, or in the case of cassette have lighter-weight construction. There are still plenty of 9 speed cassettes available from Shimano and SRAM so it's simply a case of finding one to suit your budget - I fitted a SRAM 11-28 to a friend's bike recently that was better finished and cheaper than the Sora it replaced. I use KMC X-9 chains on my MTB - the gold, ti-nitride finish is more durable than the regular silver ones IME.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • +1 for KMC chains and SRAM cassette - if you are not already as thin as Wiggins what's the point in paying more to save grams??
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    KMC chains deffo.

Cassette, just get the best priced one in the ratios you want.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    Go outdoors are selling KMC x9 chains for £12:99

Absolute bargain
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211