KMC Chain

thefd
thefd Posts: 1,021
edited June 2013 in Workshop
Sorry for the newbie question...

I have just got a new KMC X10EL chain. It comes with the missing link. The instructions say to use the tool for fitting it. Do you need to have it or will I be able to do it with my fingers?

For removing it do I need the tool?
2017 - Caadx
2016 - Cervelo R3
2013 - R872
2010 - Spesh Tarmac

Comments

• tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    No tool required to fit it. Optional to remove it but it does make it easier.
  • binkybike
    binkybike Posts: 104
    As above, no tool to fit, absolutely no need. I use some long nosed pliers to remove, it can be removed by hand though, just a bit fiddly.
  • thefd
    Ok - I've put the new chain on but it seems far too long! Is it normal to have to shorten the chain? Do I measure it against the old one to get the length correct?
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Yes it is normal to have to shorten it. You need a chain breaking tool to do this.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • thefd
    smidsy wrote:
    Yes it is normal to have to shorten it. You need a chain breaking tool to do this.
    Thanks - I have got one. Do I just measure against my old chain? Or do I need to count the links?
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    If you were happy with the old one then sure, use it as a template.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • TheFD wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    Thanks - I have got one. Do I just measure against my old chain? Or do I need to count the links?

If the old one was correct then the new one needs to have the same number of links - NB the new one will be slightly shorter in length that the old one once they both have the same number of links if the old one suffered chain stretch (the main reason to get a new one in the first place).

If the old one wasn't correct then check this http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... gth-sizing