Upgrading Shimano Brakes

msideb
msideb Posts: 9
edited June 2013 in Workshop
I am looking to upgrade the brakes that came with my B'Twin Triban 3. The brake levers are Shimano 2300 (http://www.shimano.com/media/techdocs/c ... 683910.pdf), and the brakes themselves seem to be B'Twin's own brand.

I was thinking about replacing them with Shimano 105 or Tiagra brakes, but they both mention they must be used with certain levers for correct leverage ratio. Neither of them mention 2300, so does this mean they are incompatible? And if I was to fit them, what would happen?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Shimano did change the cable-pull ratios on their brakes a few years ago (cable pull was increased a little to achieve same movement) not sure how far it's trickled down the range yet and perhaps not reached Sora. It doesn't mean that new calipers won't work with old levers, just that you have to be more careful setting them up. TBH, I suggest you simply replace the one-piece rubber blocks with cartridge-style holders and replaceable pads as used on higher end calipers - the stiffer holders ensure the pads are more positively engaged. Brake pad replacement will be cheaper and easier in the long run too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..