sram 10 speed spacer help

elderone
elderone Posts: 1,410
edited June 2013 in Workshop
Im a tad confused about fitting my 10 speed sram cassette to my new wheel which is shimano 10/11 speed compatable.Now Im not sure if im supposed to use a spacer for the sram cassette or not.From reading up I have read the shimano 10 speed needs a spacer but sram doesn,t so can any any shed some light on this issue.
Btw when I took it off my giant wheel there was no spacer behind the cassette just the dork disc thing.
Very confused :!:
cheers
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

Comments

• Some sram cassettes have a spacer built into the cassette. Best thing to do is fit the cassette onto the free hub and check for wobble. No wobble = no spacer!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,607
    on a shimano 11-speed compatible hub, any 10-speed cassette needs the spacer supplied with the wheel (sram cassettes or shimano tiagra 10-speed cassettes), some cassettes will need two spacers (applies to shimano 10-speed excluding tiagra 10-speed)

on a shimano 8/9/10-speed compatible hub, a sram 8/9/10-speed cassette does not need a spacer

so if the new wheel is shimano 11-speed, you need to use the spacer that should come with the wheel
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    thanks,it was an 11 speed hub so fit the spacer that came with wheels and all good.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori