Which Hydraulic Brakes?????

Gaines10
Gaines10 Posts: 11
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello everyone,

I'm pretty new to this site though I have been reading alot of thing on here I havent really posted much.

Anyways, I am wanting to upgrade a few things on my bike (GT moto) & the first thing I want to do is put some Hydraulic disk brakes but I'm abit unsure to which ones I should go for???

I would probably like to spend around £200 if that will get me a decent set

Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Whichever new Shimano ones you feel like paying for. Your budget will easily get you XT's.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Formula.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    cooldad wrote:
    Whichever new Shimano ones you feel like paying for. Your budget will easily get you XT's.

This.

But get the cheaper Deores. More than capable and you can spend the rest elsewhere on the bike.
  • rapid_donkey
    rapid_donkey Posts: 448
    Merlin currently have a sale on brakes
    http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... sc-brakes/
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    cooldad wrote:

+1. You got a £200 budget go for the SLX or XT
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Get the Deores. They're more than powerful enough for you and that bike and, as has been pointed out, you've got a shed-load of change for other goodies.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • I've just, today in fact bolted on a new set of Deores and am over the moon with them. i could of gone SLX or XT but the reviews these are getting i thought i'd give them ago. I'd like to know how the SLX or XT or even XTR are any better. I went for a ride to bed the pads in and after 20 mins or so of bedding in i gave them a big squeeze and was amazed how good they where, great feel, no drag or squeaking. i know there new but was still well happy with them. So much better than the Avid's that came off which were a nightmare from day one.

The only way i can see them being better is if they could take the ice pads, but unless you're riding the Alps i think you and me will be ok.
  • Gaines10
    Gaines10 Posts: 11
    Brilliant, thanks for the replys guys I shall look into them.

I was originally looking at either Hope or Magura's are the Shimano's better???

A picture of the bike when I first got it, the first thing I done was got rid of them awful pedals!! I've now got some black Nukeproof ones :D

GT.jpg
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Which Hope, which Magura? Generally yes for the money.
    Although all the people above could just be messing with your mind.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • richie1973
    richie1973 Posts: 99
    xt 785.
    amazing!
    best brake i have ever used, price, looks, performance...everything. about £175 set (rotors and bracket are extra)
    if you wanna save a few £ drop down to slx.
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    Best is a subjective term. The nice thing about Shimano is that all their hydraulic brakes work well and you won't go wrong buying any of their brakes. Some may have their opinions over which brakes feel the best (or are best modulated), and there is weight and how 'pimp' they look too .

The article below is good - give some data on the brakes performance. As you can see the deore's offer nearly the same power as the top of the range brakes!

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/fitness/article/how-we-test-hydraulic-disc-brakes-24345/
  • I have Formula RX`s on my Zesty and Shimano SLX on my Whyte and I prefer the SLX`s to be honest. Great feel, modulation, power and control. They are just about 10/10! I had Elixir R`s on my old Stumpy and they did feel good but weren`t reliable so I would avoid (the MTB mags tend to back this up too).

Formulas are very good it has to be said but SLX`s shade them overall.
    2017 YT Jeffsy 27 AL Comp
    2016 Specialized Allez Elite DSW
    2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport Compact