I think some people need telling

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited June 2013 in Commuting chat
It was >20C this afternoon when leaving work, so why did the guy collecting his bike have full length tights and a quilted jacket on? :shock:

I was warm before setting off in just my bib-shorts, short sleeved top and mitts on.

He did actually say "Well I might take something off if I get a bit warm" :?

By the way, I am not joking, nor exaggerating. I was stood there dumb-struck as he rode off.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I think people need telling... cycling's not dangerous. The number of people I see wearing helmets is quite depressing. Particularly the pootlers.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Agent57 wrote:
    I think people need telling... cycling's not dangerous. The number of people I see wearing helmets is quite depressing. Particularly the pootlers.

The heat's gone to his head and he's trying to start a helmet debate :shock:

Somebody call an ambulance :wink::wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,663
    The hotter it gets, the more you have to cover up.

Its midge season, you see.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Agent57 wrote:

The heat's gone to his head and he's trying to start a helmet debate :shock:

Somebody call an ambulance :wink::wink:

It's the season for it. Dondare is doing the same in the smelly helmet thread!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Agent57
    Not trying to start a debate, just stating my opinion. I think the overstated perception of danger puts people off. But it is just an opinion...
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Agent57 wrote:
    Not trying to start a debate, just stating my opinion. I think the overstated perception of danger puts people off. But it is just an opinion...

But why are you stating this particular opinion in a thread which has absolutely nothing to do with them? Are you going to state this opinion in all threads? I think you should warn us so we can be ready in the Scott CR1 thread for random rants about helmet wearering whilst we are discussing what handlebars go best with a matt black frame! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Kieran_Burns
    16c this morning at 6am and I saw several cyclists out in tights.

Seriously?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Stops your legs getting dirty. This dry weather has caused the roads to be really dusty.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    night vision jacket and tights on a rider going the opposite direction to me.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    You'll be pleased to know i was in shorts and a short sleeve jersey.

See plenty in boil in the bag and tights though.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    16c this morning at 6am and I saw several cyclists out in tights.

Seriously?
    I know! tell me about it ... 10°C is my cutoff for tights - any more and I overheat (I know - I tested it)

Its certainly nice being able to dress quickly rather than have to put on full body protection ... :) Not sure why others are out in so much clothing!
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I had a ss jersey and a gilet on this morning and even that was a bit warm.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    today was my first commute of the year in shortsleeves no gilet no base layer. Bit pathetic in mid-June
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    I was too warm in my padded shorts, rapha tourer shorts, string vest base and light gore top. It is way too humid but I think that may break tomorrow...
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    I had a long sleeve jersey on this morning, but had to stop 5 miles in to take it off and out a SS one on! Very muggy indeed!
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I saw several riders this morning with full commuter armour (Night Vision + badly fitting loosely fastened helmet), and one wearing a heavy padded coat - he was *very* slow though.

I was pootling to keep cool, in shorts and s/s jersey. I may have to invest in some anti-goose shinpads as the fowl of Caversham are out in force.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    menthel wrote:
    I was too warm in my padded shorts, rapha tourer shorts, string vest base and light gore top. It is way too humid but I think that may break tomorrow...

Wait. Two pairs of shorts?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Kieran_Burns
    I know I run hot but I have to clean my top tube most days in this weather I'm sweating so heavily. I really cannot understand how people can be so wrapped up and not faint.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I rode wearing only a dab of chamois cream yesterday. Oh, and my shoes.
    Insert bike here:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Stops your legs getting dirty. This dry weather has caused the roads to be really dusty.

Sooo what you're saying is we should all shave our legs because less dust will stick to them and in the long run be easier to clean?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Overdid it today, bib shorts and a long sleeved jersey. Passed one lunatic with tights, jacket, full finger gloves and a buff.

One chap from an old workplace used to cycle every day - only 2 miles, but he has epilepsy and fits if he gets even a little cold. Regularly seen sporting scarf and bobble hat in summer. Cycles around most peoples walking pace.
  • Kieran_Burns
    itboffin wrote:
    Stops your legs getting dirty. This dry weather has caused the roads to be really dusty.

Sooo what you're saying is we should all shave our legs because less dust will stick to them and in the long run be easier to clean?

I think someone has got the reason for waxing commuting vehicles mixed up....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I produce a lot of heat and lightweight bibs and a SS jersey was all I could stand, how people wear anything over that frys my tiny little mind even more, going to be even warmer than the 17 I had at 7:45 this morning
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm with KB on this, I know I am a 'run hot' person (and I prefer feeling cold to hot) even so anything over +5 and it's shorts and short sleeved (long fingered gloves to +10 then mitts), below that and it's long sleeved or soft shell and over the knee shorts, below -5 I'll wear tights or knee warmers.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • menthel
    Ben6899 wrote:
    menthel wrote:

Yep, padded liners and rapha tourers. I just can't do the lycra thing. People would be sick and perhaps die.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    menthel wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    menthel wrote:

Yep, padded liners and rapha tourers. I just can't do the lycra thing. People would be sick and perhaps die.

They'd have to deal with it.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • menthel
    Ben6899 wrote:
    menthel wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    menthel wrote:

They'd have to deal with it.

I'm not sure I could though! ;)
    RIP commute...
  • Blacktemplar
    Blacktemplar Posts: 713
    mpatts wrote:
    I rode wearing only a dab of chamois cream yesterday. Oh, and my shoes.
    :lol::lol::lol:

Does that not make the saddle a bit slippy? If riding in the buff, I recommend removing the saddle and lubing the post instead.......

A guy pulled up in traffic behind me yesterday wearing a denim shirt, thick corduroy trousers, brogues and a buttoned-up tweed jacket. It was 20C, and HE WASN'T WEARING A HELMET, the fool......
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Agent57
    Rolf F wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

But why are you stating this particular opinion in a thread which has absolutely nothing to do with them?

The subject is "I think some people need telling". I just picked up on that, hence starting my post with "I think people need telling..." Assumed it was going to be a general thread for things people need to be told, like some of the other catch-all threads.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Naked bike ride was last week!