Hard tail for 1k

junkie
junkie Posts: 14
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
New here

I'm looking to buy a hardtail bike under the ride to work scheme. My work say I have to use Evans cycles. I was an avid rider 15 years ago and knew everything but times have certainly changed.

So I'm looking to spend the maximum budget of £1000, I know I only want hardtail. I'm looking to initially get fit by using it for Tarmac journeys etc but I want it to be capable off road too. I won't be down hilling, I will be going cross country in the future. I can't upgrade it until its mine so looking for the best spec I can get.

So if you guys had to buy any bike from Evans what would you buy yourself obviously upto £1000 and on sale bikes count too.

Thanks simon

Comments

• agentsammo
    agentsammo Posts: 19
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec042245

nothing wrong with this one, plus its 800 quid leaving 200 quid to get locks, and helmet, clothes, and would swap the pedals for decent flats.

got the 2012 model and its an excellent comfy ride, and quick, this should be quicker cause its a 29'', good for xc
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    That Specialized has a terrible fork and the rest isn't much better. It should be £300 cheaper with that spec.
    This one is better http://www.evanscycles.com/products/nor ... e-ec041202
    This is even better http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pin ... e-ec044223
    This is better than the Specialized for the same money http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sco ... e-ec030812
  • junkie
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I am going back to been a novice now and the one thing I do need is the bike to not hold me back for when I do improve. I want durability in the parts until I can say its mine.

I've only just today before posting on here about 26 v 29ers. Is 29 the way to go as I doubt I will become full knarly but just enjoy the ride kinda thing.

If its your money what would you buy?
  • junkie
    Having a browse now I have time and I seem to be drawn to Norco Nitro 9.1 9.2 29ers. Any feedback on those? I love the looks of them. I need to figure out the hierarchy for the parts on bikes nowadays. It used to be some thing like

Deore
    LX
    ST
    XTR

Or something similar.
  • junkie
    This one http://m.evanscycles.com/products/jamis ... e-ec041490

Or the 2 norco nitro are cool to me.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    junkie wrote:

Deore
    LX
    ST
    XTR

Or something similar.
    Is now
    Non-series (M4XX usually)
    Deore
    SLX
    XT
    XTR

SRAM is easy, higher number = better (X0 is higher than X9 though......)

Brilliant spec for sub £900 (though not full XT!)
    http://www.rutlandcycling.com/44935/For ... -Bike.html
    specs here
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=91384
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • junkie
    Righty work have actually closed their scheme but if I can get back to them today I'm allowed in. So not much pressure and it has to be Evans cycles.

Norco nitro 9.1
    Norco nitro 9.2
    Jamis Dakota D29
    Lapierre pro race 229

I like the looks of those but any better or another bike

Cheers
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Out of that lot I'd go for the norco 9.1 if you must have a 29er.

Otherwise, the Pinnacle that Rockmonkey posted above.
  • junkie
    29er isn't a must have. I've looked into the debate and it seems its the way to go. I'm off to Evans shortly to try on a few bikes but just need a starting point
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    just get the bike with the best fork for your budget. Personally, I'd go with the Pinacle that Rockmonkey suggested

Def don't get persuaded to get a Specialized...at this price point the whole spec is pretty dire (and that comes from a Rockhopper owner)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • junkie
    Cheers. So what's the best to worst forks lol. Sorry I'm out of touch
  • felix.london
    junkie wrote:
    Cheers. So what's the best to worst forks lol. Sorry I'm out of touch

Out of the 4 (?) Evans bikes linked to above; Recon Gold (best), Recon Silver, XC 28 (worst)

Trek Session 8
  • junkie
    Just in general. I've read hydraulic is better than air. That's about as far as my knowledge extends to
  • felix.london
    the forks and the tyres will make the most difference to your ride. Tyres are replaceable items that wear out anyway but def worth getting the best fork you can.

And I'd steer clear of 29er's at this price as they tend come with cheap, heavy components (fork included)

I think the Recon Silver TK 29er Solo Air is heavier than the Recon Gold Coil TK (26")

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    junkie wrote:
    Just in general. I've read hydraulic is better than air. That's about as far as my knowledge extends to
    Hydraulic refers to the damper air the spring!
    Hydraulic is better than no damper.

Air and coil springs are 'different', air is more adjustable and lighter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • junkie
    So lets say the norco nitro 9.1, that has a gold fork. Comes in 26" 29". Although the parts are the same how different would they ride. I know I'm only browsing on the site and it will all change in the shop but I'm really drawn to that bike.

Gold fork
    SRAM 5 and 7.
  • junkie
    junkie wrote:
    Hydraulic refers to the damper air the spring!
    Hydraulic is better than no damper.

Air and coil springs are 'different', air is more adjustable and lighter.

I'm still none the wiser lol. It's ok but this is turning into a good crash course for beginners lol.
  • The Rookie
    Imagine your car (assuming you have one) it has soprings and shock absorbers (dampers).

The spring holds the car (or bike) up (Coil spring is just that, a metal coil, an air spring uses compressed air in the fork as the spring).

The damper stops the coil just bouncing along like a pogo stick or a slinky, without a controlling damper a spring is little better than no spring at all.

All the forks mentioned have hydraulic damping.
    A metal coil spring is a single stiffness, if it's OK for you, great, if it's too stiff or too soft then you have to replace it to suite, and air springs stiffness is adjusted by adding or removing air using a special (low volume/high pressure) pump. Clearly a chunk of metal in there is heavier than having air doing the job, but the seals for the piston rod that stop the air escaping create some friction which has a small detrimental effect on the springs responce to smaller bumps. (that's the short version!)

26 v 29 -
    26er pluses
    More maneouverable, lighter (all else being equal), cheaper tyres when you need new/different ones.
    29er pluses
    More stable, better traction (longer tyre contact patch), faster rolling over rough terrain*

*Much debated, having tried both on the same section of track it does feel like it to me though!
  • zedzed
    zedzed Posts: 55

Just to note that this was £779 until yesterday afternoon, and has jumped up £100 to £879.
    Rutland say "supply and demand" ... so if you want this bike it might be worth waiting a wee while to see if they drop the price again if it stops selling.
    Rutland are doing £50 off at the moment though (or they were when I checked yesterday) - so it's current (real) price is £829. Just annoying to know I was too late and it could have been £729 yesterday if I'd pulled the trigger then!
  • junkie
    Well I've bit the bucket and gone for the norco nitro 9.1 29er. I see it as its plenty good enough for me with room to upgrade in the future as we always do. Thanks for all the help look forward to been around.
  • junkie
    Well my choice of Norco Nitro 9.1 has arrived today. Not rode it yet but I'm very pleased with my choice so far.

As a HUGE bonus it's got SRAM X9 rear derailer instead of the should be supplied X7. Thank you very much evans cycles. Bars paint scratched so although its not life threatening those will be going back and try and get an "upgraded" bar from them too lol.

Always knew the pedals would be poor so those are getting swapped. They also sent me 2 continental X-King 2.2 as spares. Not free as such but £50 worth of accessories was included with the C2W. So the tyres already fitted look good enough for my initial Tarmac use to get back in shape and then try the conti x kings out.

Thanks to anybody who helped me out.