Legal Advice - Can only the victim report a crime?

tarquin_foxglove
tarquin_foxglove Posts: 554
edited June 2013 in Commuting general
I was walking along & witnessed a road rage incident of the horn, verbal abuse from passenger & ridiculous overtake kind but a 10 on that scale.

Neither of the victims stopped & so there wasn't a chance to discuss it with them, so I took the vehicle registration & called the police.

The Police said they'd take the registration & my details but if the victims didn't report it, no offence had been committed.

Is that right?

Comments

• mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    I had some psycho block me into a set of traffic lights then get out and nearly drag me out of Mr mini the other night after HE did a dodgy overtaking manoeuvre. Reported to the Police but they couldnt be bothered even when I gave a full description and there were witnesses. Unlikely they will do anything at all mate.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,164
    I think anyone can report a crime. Murder victims often can't report it themselves.

If someone was driving dangerously or threatening someone then I believe an offence was committed.

However if you weren't the victim the police might not be able to do anything, even if they could be bothered. You've done well to get them to record it and at least if it happens again and someone gets hurt the driver has 'previous' (assuming they have put your complaint on record and not just binned it).