Another "First 100 Miler"

dabber
dabber Posts: 1,973
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
It looks like a few of us have ticked of a first miler in the last few days....

I started riding about 3 years ago and had thought about doing it. Last weekend I became even more ancient and had my 66th birthday so I thought "Time is getting on".

Went out today with a rough route in mind and it all worked out quite well. 101 miles at a moving average of 16.1mph.
I wasn't sure about pacing so played it a little bit safe. In fact I still felt reasonably strong at the end so I could probably pushed it a bit more.

Anyway, time for a beer.
“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    My first 100 will be on Sunday (assuming I finish).

Did 83.7 this Sunday (I am sure the .7 is important) so should be able to eak out the rest.

If I do, it will be 18 months after taking up cycling from 20 years of nothing.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • dabber
    I think I'll make my next target 125 miles before 2013 year end.
    150 miles before I'm 70??? I'll have to think about that but... it's a thought. :D

My previous longest was around 74 miles.

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Good god,66 years old and doing an 100 miler.very well done sir.As a 50 yr old newbie its a great inspiration
    chapeau.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    edited June 2013
    elderone wrote:
    Good god,66 years old and doing an 100 miler.very well done sir.As a 50 yr old newbie its a great inspiration
    chapeau.
    I regularly ride with a guy who is quick; he has dropped me more than one! I was really proud one day, I sat on his wheel on a local climb and waited - just before the end I stood up and passed him! So I'm crooning about it, cocka-hoop, when someone says "You do know he's 73 years old?" - gutted. :)

@Dabber - respect!
  • dabber
    Thanks for the encouragement folks... much appreciated.

I know there are plenty of older riders who have been at it most of their lives who belt along and would think nothing of a 100 miler (and much further) but as a relative newbie it was a milestone (excuse the pun) that was niggling me and one that I needed to get out of the way.

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    smidsy wrote:
    My first 100 will be on Sunday (assuming I finish).

Did 83.7 this Sunday (I am sure the .7 is important) so should be able to eak out the rest.

If I do, it will be 18 months after taking up cycling from 20 years of nothing.

You will - LOTS of people around to encourage you
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter