Bib Shorts!! Ok, I get it

ct8282
ct8282 Posts: 414
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
When I got my bike a few weeks back I picked up a nice pair of Louis Garneau baggies, with padded liner of course, and have been wearing them up to now for all my road riding. At about 15 miles my bum will start to hurt and if I try to ride again within 3 or 4 days the pain comes back after about 5 miles and can get really bad.
I just assumed this was my ass getting used to the saddle but after reading so many reviews about Bib Shorts I thought I'd swallow my pride and give them a shot.

I picked up a pair of Gore Power 2.0 bib shorts for £63.99 (thanks Wiggle) and all I can say is holy smokes! Night and day is the only way to describe them.

I just smashed out 17 miles, beat all my PR's on strava across 10 segments for that circuit, boosted my top speed on the Rusper desecent from 41mph to 45.5mph (and I free wheeled most of it this time), upped by average speed from 15.2mph to 16.5mph and the best thing of all, my bum didn't hurt one bit. It was like I was sitting on a cushion of angels kissing my ass the whole way!! I rode 2 days ago too and my ass absolutely killed then (wearing the Louis shorts) so I was at least expecting some discomfort but there was none whatsoever.

Some things are worth spending money on, and Bib Shorts most certainly are. If you don't use them, do yourself a favour and buy a pair right now.

http://app.strava.com/activities/61142085

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    The most likely reason for riding faster in the hope no-one you know spots you in your new lycra :wink:
  • ct8282
    Pross wrote:
    The most likely reason for riding faster in the hope no-one you know spots you in your new lycra :wink:

Ha ha. There is of course that too. :lol:
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    The most important aspect for performance is comfort - if you're comfortable then you're not wasting energy struggling withthe pain.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ct8282
    drlodge wrote:
    The most important aspect for performance is comfort - if you're comfortable then you're not wasting energy struggling withthe pain.

Agree with that. It made a huge difference indeed.

I'm still getting pins and needles in my hands and forearms at times though, especially when I'm on the drops if anyone has any thoughts on that?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yey, another convert spreading the word :-)

Glad you went for bibs and not just lycra shorts ;-)
    Lycra shorts would have been a massive improvement over the baggies, but bib shorts are the way to go for 100% comfort.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Is it a road bike? Did you buy the baggies at the same time?
  • craigr
    craigr Posts: 53
    ct8282 wrote:
    drlodge wrote:
    I'm still getting pins and needles in my hands and forearms at times though, especially when I'm on the drops if anyone has any thoughts on that?

Cycling gloves should help with that. :)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    ct8282 wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

Agree with that. It made a huge difference indeed.

Possibly too much weight leaning forward, try flipping your stem to get the bars higher if it isn't already done.
  • ct8282
    Stem is still 'flipped' or stock should we say. I haven't 'slammed' it yet as I was instructed to do, lol.

I'm thinking a decent set of gloves is my first port of call to see if this helps.
  • ct8282
    Carbonator wrote:
    Yey, another convert spreading the word :-)

Glad you went for bibs and not just lycra shorts ;-)
    Lycra shorts would have been a massive improvement over the baggies, but bib shorts are the way to go for 100% comfort.

Yep, happy to spread the word since they really are that damn good. I told my mate who's just bought a roadie and he's appauled, lol. I've told him he'll be buying a pair in a few weeks, guaranteed, when the pain sets in. He's still convinced he'll be fine with his baggies, little does he know. :)
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Well done on your pb,s .bib shorts are the one area not to scrimp and like you I found out the hard way.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori