Scott Octane FX3... Do I need a new bike?

Jay76
Jay76 Posts: 58
edited June 2013 in MTB general
Hi guys,

I have an old Scott Octane FX3 with Rock Shox Judy XLC suspension. It was used about 5 times before being covered up in my garage for the last 12 years so it is as good as new. Shocks are perfect as is the chain, gears etc.

My mate who rides alot tells me I should get a new hardtail bike as this old girl is heavy and that riding up hill will be hard due to the old style rear suspension coil. He advised me that the rear suspension on it was a bad design.

Can you give me some advice? I am going to get back into riding now, as in a few times a week on a minimum of 15 miles each ride mainly off road on trails with hills etc. Nothing crazy.

Any advice would be good, I am so out of touch when it comes to mountain bikes now! thanks
**2011 Cove Stiffee**

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    which version was it? there is more than 1 version. the newer was i belive heavier and had swing arm issues.

Post up pics.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How heavy is it (stand on bathroom scales with and without carrying it!)?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Jay76
    Its exactly the same as the bright blue one here:
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=scott+ ... B640%3B480
    **2011 Cove Stiffee**
  • nicklouse
    a few blue ones there
    this one
    -7682510676833650.jpg

if yes some nice new 100mm forks and a shorter steerer will be good the rear shock is the problem (in that trying to find one to fit).

weightwise the frame is fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse
    my old one

p4pb317001.jpg
  • Jay76
    Thanks for the replies.. how much of a problem would you say the rear suspension is?
    **2011 Cove Stiffee**
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Get out and have a go on it, see what you think! Once you've done that, see if you can get a go on a more modern one and compare....
  • nicklouse
    Jay76 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies.. how much of a problem would you say the rear suspension is?
    it is not a "problem" but if it is fubared then you might have issues sorting it.
  • Jay76
    well i went out on a 10 mile ride off road on Sunday and it felt good - The rear suspension in full working order at the moment.. I have no other bike to compare it to so it could feel horrible as far as I know.
    Down hill was fine, but on hills my mate left me behind on his hard tail big time. Each time I pedal the back bobs down and I am wondering if it is making climbing much harder work than a hard tail.
    Shame I can't lock it off. I have tried tightening it up as much as poss.
    **2011 Cove Stiffee**
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Jay76 wrote:
    I am wondering if it is making climbing much harder work than a hard tail.
    No doubt about it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    change the way you pedal spin seated dont stomp.
  • Jay76
    nicklouse wrote:
    change the way you pedal spin seated dont stomp.

Ah cool I'm learning something here... sorry to sound dumb but can you elaborate?
    **2011 Cove Stiffee**
  • cooldad
    Pedal fast whilst seated in a low gear so you don't bounce up and down as much - but it'll still be harder work than a modern hardtail.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Jay76
    cooldad wrote:
    Pedal fast whilst seated in a low gear so you don't bounce up and down as much - but it'll still be harder work than a modern hardtail.

Got ya, thanks for the explanation.
    Thats how I was pedalling but even then the back dips in and the front lifts up feels like I am on a seesaw!
    I guess I need to buy a hard tail purely to make uphill easier.. I suppose it will aslo help for the odd road biking too
    **2011 Cove Stiffee**
  • cooldad
    Or a more modern full sus. Both geometry and components have come a long way. But a hardtail is the obvious answer.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools