David Walsh - Seven Deadly Sins

bernithebiker
bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
edited July 2013 in Pro race
Only read a third of this so far, but it's an excellent read, a real eye-opener about Walsh's hunting down of Armstrong.

I have to admit to having been taken in by Lance back in 2000. I was new to road cycling and thought it was a great story of an amazing comeback.

The depth of the bullying and skullduggery in the book is astonishing.

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    if anyone's interested, there's a Sunday Times pre-Tour event on evening of Tue 26th in London, with Walsh and Shane Sutton being interviewed. Tickets are a tenner. Given Sutton's personality, it could be lively... 8)
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I've read it. It's canny.
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    if anyone's interested, there's a Sunday Times pre-Tour event on evening of Tue 26th in London, with Walsh and Shane Sutton being interviewed. Tickets are a tenner. Given Sutton's personality, it could be lively... 8)

Sounds interesting. Do you have a link?
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    pomtarr wrote:

Sounds interesting. Do you have a link?

Correction: its Tue 25th

Where
    13th Floor, News International, London, E98 1ST
    When
    June 25, 2013, from 7.00pm

How to book
    Call 0871 620 4027
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    good book.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    You would enjoy The Secret Race too. More.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    As Nicole Cooke says, if you buy Tyler's book you are rewarding him for cheating. If you do make sure you lend it to as many people as possible!
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/ja ... tly-how-is
  • joelsim
    I don't necessarily agree with that. They were all at it and no-one tried to change it. As a small cog it's impossible and riders like Bassons just got ostracized. His book and testimony has helped change.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    FatTed wrote:
    As Nicole Cooke says, if you buy Tyler's book you are rewarding him for cheating. If you do make sure you lend it to as many people as possible!
    Yes, I guess she's right. But it is a good read. And you don't get the impression he's an arse like Lance.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • joelsim
    FatTed wrote:
    Yes, I guess she's right. But it is a good read. And you don't get the impression he's an ars* like Lance.

The main issue I have with LA isn't that he took drugs, as I've said at the time it was impossible to compete without it as nothing was being done by the authorities. His main problem was his total focus on winning at all costs, including intimidation of others, lawsuit threats everywhere, forcing his domestiques to tow the line/epo etc, and generally abusing his power. A total cnut. Tyler was just part of the system, as pretty much the whole peloton was.

Having said that I don't agree with LA being the only scapegoat, the people who need to take that accolade are Verbruggen & Co for effectively making it legal.
  • theknowledge
    theknowledge Posts: 223
    £2.99 in The Works at the moment.