GP4000s

Brian1
Brian1 Posts: 595
edited June 2013 in Road general
just checked my tyres after tonight's ride and noticed that the GP4000s on the front seems to have deteriorated and cracked and I can pull bits of tread off.Its only done about 400 miles.Anyone else had this?

Comments

• Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    No, I'd have a word with the place where you bought them, maybe old stock with perished rubber? Unless they've been exposed to loads of UV (You get so much bright sunshine in N. Ireland...) or cleaned a lot with solvents, they should not be in this state after 400 miles. Unless you take 8 years to cycle this distance.
  • Brian1
    Brian1 Posts: 595
    Sunshine? What's that? Just got soaked for the fourth time in a week!
  • I have GP4000s too. What is up with these tyres. I always here them mentioned, mostly positively tho. My ones are cracked considerably but they are not in a real bad way tho, just loads of harline ones. It does sound like OPs tyres have been exposed to something untoward. Definitely take them back and get them replaced or refunded.
  • Confusing? I use them all the time and they are excellent. Good life span. Is the tread youre pulling off just the excess thin bit of rubber you get from new??
  • davoj
    davoj Posts: 190
    yea i have had the same problem since i bought these tires as well. They haven't punctured though but a lot of slits and i haven't them on that long. Was thinking about maybe filling the slits with a rubber solution or a flexible glue but some don't recommend this.

Has anyone tried this method?
  • Dont do that! Apparently when the glue dries it becomes hard and sharp. So you will end up with a tyre full of what might as well be bits of broken glass. Never tried it however.
  • deadhead1971
    deadhead1971 Posts: 338
    2000 miles on my first set of these and they're still looking like new.
    Seriously, I'm very impressed with them.
    If you keep the pressures maintained and don't let them run low, they're ace.
    Alan
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk

The Ultimate List of Strava Add On Sites!
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/strava-sites
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826

My experience too. I've done 2000 miles on them, pump them to 110psi before every ride.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • davoj
    davoj Posts: 190
    Dont do that! Apparently when the glue dries it becomes hard and sharp. So you will end up with a tyre full of what might as well be bits of broken glass. Never tried it however.

Yea that's what i heard about the normal super glue and it makes sense but the flexi glue or rubber adhesive doesn't set hard (sharp) so was wondering if that would solve the cut problem.
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    I have run GP4000's for a few years and haven't had any problems except for when I did try and fix a split with none-flexible superglue. It did indeed turn to glass and caused several punctures before I realised why!!! I have never tried flexible glue but given that I am now terrified of a blowout at speed and its implications I just replace my tyre if I consider any splits to be too large and put them to one side for use on the winter turbo.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    rode 5000-6000 miles with my last set maybe more...best tyres ever.
  • binsted
    binsted Posts: 182
    drlodge wrote:

My experience too. I've done 2000 miles on them, pump them to 110psi before every ride.

I really want to be impressed by them, I acknowledge the amount of peeps on here that swear by them but my set are no better than any other tyre I have had if fact as of last Saturday they are now top of the puncture league.

It could well be the poor Hampshire lanes that seem to be strewn with gravel but I will need some convincing before buying another set.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Been running the 4000s for years now and swear by them. Run at 110psi and have very little punctures over the years and use them for training, sportives and abroad on the big cols. IMO the best general tyre out there and sounds like the op had the misfortune of getting a raw deal.
    Brian B.
  • gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    drlodge wrote:

+2 on this...nearly 1000 miles on mine and there like new.excellent tyres and no punctures yet (touch wood)
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i certainly hope they are good as i have just ordered a pair!
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    I use these on my training wheels and think they're fantastic. Never had any issues.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    I've had punctures on mine, but they were all due to the spot I was riding through. I love these tyres!