Mid travel trail bike or frame and fork build

Twelly
Twelly Posts: 1,437
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
So early next year I will be investing in a bouncy trail bike.
I want:
140-160mm travel
Air suspension preferably for easy adjustability and lower weight
The trendy slack angles that most bikes tend to have these days
Dropper post
Would like to keep it on the good side of 13kg if possible.
ISCG tabs, big headtube, through axle to keep it up to date.

I have seen a couple of full builds that I like but the tempting option is to buy a frame and fork and transfer as much as possible from my hardtail (drivetrain, brakes, wheels, tyres, finishing kit). If I do this, it will become my do-it-all bike so needs to be workable on longer rides and climbs.

I'm fairly lost with frame and fork options, I have no knowledge of rear shocks and the Fox fork range baffles me with their FIT CTD EVO FLOAT VAN bollox. First question to you 'orrible lot is - any suggestions?

I like the look of the Canyon Nerve AL+ 7.0 but never ridden one.
Have ridden a Cube Stereo HPC 29er and absolutely loved it but it is only available in carbon flavour and is far too expensive(£3699 for the one I rode). I have been told that Ally versions are being released for 2014 at a more normal price so that will be a contender.

Anyone care to comment on these two and/or suggest alternative bikes?

If I buy a full bike, budget will be £2000 but would rather spend £1500-1800.
Frame and fork budget would be £1000ish

It will take me the rest of this year to accumulate the funds so 2014 kit could be considered.

Ta!

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    For that budget I'd be looking to get a full bike. You almost certainly get better value for money with a full bike. most frame only options are around £1500 mark and above unless buying second hand.

Also have a look at the Titus bikes at On One's website.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    TwellySmat wrote:
    but would rather spend £1500-1800.

Norco Sight 3 SE?
  • Twelly
    TwellySmat wrote:
    but would rather spend £1500-1800.

Norco Sight 3 SE?

Oh good shout, Norco hadn't even crossed my mind... more homework to do now..
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    It's up on the top line of my shortlist currently. It has everything on your list apart from the dropper post, but it's exactly the same frame as the more expensive models (complete with ISCG mounts), so will take one (and has cable guides for one on the top tube). The slightly cheaper Sight 3 has a 135mm rear axle, but the SE gets the 142x12 of the more expensive models.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Frame only options - obviously the Titus El Guapo or get one of these tres sexy Votec VSX frames;

http://www.bikester.fr/328811.html

Votec frame is £680 (only in M), pick up a used Lyrik and you'll be under your £1K budget

- dropper post cable routing, bolt through axle, ISCG mounts, direct mount front mech, 1.5" head tube, same geo as Rocky Mountain Slayer and Trek Slash, looks awesome

btw - I've been building my bike for nearly a year now too (and only just got the frame) - should be hitting the trails on it in September I reckon. Whole thing will cost in the region of £1,900 and it's gonna be no shoddy spec either..check the link below for some pics of frame and full spec list;

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12927265
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Twelly
    Had already seen your build thread and yeah, lovely looking frame and a bargain. Will be keeping a close eye on your build! Cheers for the link.

I think Lyrics or a Domain would be a bit overkill for me and also a bit pricey. I was thinking 150mm Revs as a first choice fork (price, weight and adjustability) but I'm guessing this frame needs to be matched with something a bit more hardcore?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I would be interested in a Nukeproof Mega TR - air shock, 130mm rear travel, 150 up front, slack angles, definitely on my list for my do most things including the bike park from time to time.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.