Excess oil on chain,covered bike!

Jamesrichio
Jamesrichio Posts: 17
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
So I took my bike to my lbs last week to get the wheels trued and bb adjusted, both of these were done correctly however coming back from a ride today I noticed the rear wheel was pebbled dashed with flecks of oil. Touching the chain removed a load of excess oil and looking at it you could see it dripping of. I cleaned my bike and the chain, degreased and then dried using cloths to remove the excess oil that was still there which there was a lot.
My question is what else should I do? I'm not sure if the chain needs re-lubing as there still seemed to be loads of oil on there, should I check rim to make sure it will stop correctly?

Comments

• JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Oil on the chain is needed on the INSIDE of rollers that connect the links, and a slight amount on the side plates where they rub together.

You did the correct procedure of cleaning the excess oil from the exterior of the chain with cloth or paper towels. It is not necessary to get the chain completely 'dry', leaving a thin sheen of oil is fine.

Do use towels to remove any oil that is on the rims or tires, and also from the cranks, chain rings, deraileur parts, seat tube, etc.

Perhaps the LBS was letting the oil on the chain 'soak in' (which is ok), but forgot to wipe it later.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • I would wipe the braking surface down with a rag dipped in acetone to make sure no oil is left there before relying on brakes.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Also check brake pads have no oil on surface as will make breaking a tad scary.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Is it worth re-lubing chain if I've wiped to much off? Brakes and rims seemed ok gave them both a quick clean and have the wheel a quick check and the brakes too.
    Thanks for the help.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Is it worth re-lubing chain if I've wiped to much off? Brakes and rims seemed ok gave them both a quick clean and have the wheel a quick check and the brakes too.
    Thanks for the help.
    No, as Jay said, the important part for lube in the chain is inside, once it has soaked in, you need to wipe off all the excess on the outside surfaces to stop it picking up too much dirt and grit.

You should be cleaning and relubing the chain after ever couple of rides or every week if you're commuting, depending on weather and road conditions.
  • Gizmodo wrote:
    Is it worth re-lubing chain if I've wiped to much off? Brakes and rims seemed ok gave them both a quick clean and have the wheel a quick check and the brakes too.
    Thanks for the help.
    No, as Jay said, the important part for lube in the chain is inside, once it has soaked in, you need to wipe off all the excess on the outside surfaces to stop it picking up too much dirt and grit.

You should be cleaning and relubing the chain after ever couple of rides or every week if you're commuting, depending on weather and road conditions.

Thanks a great help