replacement Stem

boyse7en
boyse7en Posts: 59
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm suffering with pins and needles in my hands when I ride my Spesh Tricross Sport for over an hour.

Thought it might be from reaching out too far so I am thinking about replacing the stem with a shorter one (about 20-25mm shorter).

There seems to be a massive difference in price, depending on brand. Is there anything in particular that I should look for, or are all stems pretty much the same for a given length/angle?

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Weight is the biggest factor. Some of the cheap / adjustable stems weigh an absolute ton.

Watch out for the stack height as they aren't all the same.
  • gloomyandy
    gloomyandy Posts: 520
    It's not unusual for people to amass a number of stems trying to find the position that works best for them. You may want to consider buying cheap/second hand to begin with until you find the right setup then maybe buy a better/lighter stem of the same size.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Pins and needles in the hands might also be saddle position putting too much weight towards the front, or a vice-like grip on the bars restricting blood circulation. A good pair of gel gloves can help, but correct bike/frame/saddle/stem sizing is essential. Worth splashing out £15 on an ebay stem to see if it feels more comfortable. Don't forget to check stem angle.