£250 for an upgrade... But what ?

Toe knee
Toe knee Posts: 525
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Hello everyone,

As the title says I have £250 left from my cyclescheme vouchers to spend on my bike ( cannondale synapse sora ) , now I'm about to go clip less, and have the pedals to fit, so maybe some road shoes will have to come off my spend, unless I can find some 2nd hand shoes, anyway what in your experience, would be the most significant upgrade to improve my bike ?
I have just been reading some horror stories about the stock wheels on the bike ( Maddox r3.0 ), have I got enough to spend on a new set of wheels that would make a great difference, a quick question here, how do better wheels improve your riding experience ?
Thanks for any ideas or advice .

Tony :D

Comments

• Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Id ride with the wheels you get with the bike you can always upgrade later - for now your £250 would be better spent on a few other bits and pieces - think about upgrading the brake pads (koolstop or swiss stop), possibly the tyres too depending on what it comes with. Do you have things like a pump or co2, bottle cages, bottles etc?

Clothes too with some decent cycling shorts being a priority. Of course you may already have things like shorts, pumps etc covered.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    For £250 perhaps a nice GPS cycle computer?
    e.g. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gar ... e-ec046584
  • Toe knee
    Thanks for the replies ,

I do have most other things already, apart from shoes as stated.

Brake pads a good thought , will sort them. :D

Thanks
    Tony
  • markhewitt1978
    If you have all the accessories, and don't want to upgrade your wheels - which would be the best option IMO.
    What about groupset stuff? It's difficult as your bike is Sora, so you're outside of the 10-speed compatibility sphere, even so, £290 would buy you a full Tiagra groupset (I know you can't over spend on C2W but as groupsets are just a collection of bits you could buy most of it and buy the missing bits yourself).

That way you'd change your bike from 9-speed to 10-speed, which importantly will allow you to upgrade to e.g. Ultegra 6700 eventually if you wanted.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I'd totally look into lighter wheels and tyres. Even expensive bikes come with fairly heavy ones unless you're lucky. I got a used set of Ultegra wheels for 110 on ebay and they're fantastic. But be sure any wheels you buy will take a nine speed cassette, some (like the Ultegras) have taller splines and only take ten speed.

If you don't have a track pump add that to the list, you'll never get a high enough pressure with a normal pump.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    helmet, lights, mudguards for the winter, waterproofs, new cycle jersey, T-handle hex key set, saddle upgrade, I'll soon have your spare money spent ;)
  • markhewitt1978
    unixnerd wrote:
    I'd totally look into lighter wheels and tyres. Even expensive bikes come with fairly heavy ones unless you're lucky. I got a used set of Ultegra wheels for 110 on ebay and they're fantastic. But be sure any wheels you buy will take a nine speed cassette, some (like the Ultegras) have taller splines and only take ten speed.

If you don't have a track pump add that to the list, you'll never get a high enough pressure with a normal pump.

Are the Ultegra's good? I was thinking of getting the 6700 version? Although I might wait for the 6800..

Anyway, they will all take 8, 9 and 10 speed, so that won't be a problem. You'll need different wheels for 11 speed but they too will take 8, 9 and 10 speed cassettes.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Are the Ultegra's good? I was thinking of getting the 6700 version? Although I might wait for the 6800..

They're great, I think mine are the 6700 flavour. Only difference is a small amount of weight. They roll very well and spin up nicely. They won't take a nine speed cassette, I know that for a fact as I tried. They have the taller "Dura-Ace style" spline on the hub which stops the cassette eating into them.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    The C2W rules only allow the BIKE and SAFETY EQUIPMENT. You should not be able to purchase general items of fancy.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Toe knee
    MMMmm. . . . . Depends what shop you use smidsy, it's already sorted, I can pick what I want, :D
  • smidsy
    I do not doubt it but technically it is fraud.

C2W is a tax benefit so if you deviate from the scheme rules you are going against HMRC.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Toe knee
    I have read somewhere that they have changed the rules and you can now buy kit etc... Instead of a bike....!!
    Correct me if I'm wrong but that's what my bike shop has said. :D
  • smidsy
    They have extended the scheme to allow you to buy SAFETY ACCESSORIES.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Toe knee
    FFS, there's always one isn't there, very good glad that's sorted. :D
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Tyres. Unless you're very lucky the stock tyres will be sh00t. £100 shoes, £50 tyres and £100 left for a basic GPS - sorted :D
  • Toe knee
    Sounds good canny lad, the tyres are schwalabe Laguno, I have a cateye strada,and my strava, so money for something else's? :D
  • smidsy
    Toe knee wrote:
    FFS, there's always one isn't there, very good glad that's sorted. :D

Sorry if the facts are not to your liking.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Toe knee
    Goodbye, thanks for all the adult replies . :D
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Toe knee wrote:
    Goodbye, thanks for all the adult replies . :D

Advising someone not to commit tax fraud is childish?
  • epo rocks!
    epo rocks! Posts: 12
    You've got a Cannondale? christ just upgrade the bike, its a lot easier, go to Halfords, buy a Carrera, job done. :D
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    as the others have said, but if you are going to commute, some half decent lights, mudguards, spare tires (if not new wheels), spare chain and cassette, a nice set of shoes, pump (track and bike), handlebar tape, better bars, better seat.

etc