Do you tell off other cyclists

bigmonka
bigmonka Posts: 361
edited July 2013 in Commuting general
I saw some really poor cycling this morning with people undertaking a car which was obviously turning left - it's really lucky that no one got hurt.
Anyway, I caught up with these people at the next set of lights and that moment of "shall I say something about how dangerous that was?". In the end I didn't say anything, but was wondering if anyone else does? How is it normally received?

Comments

• I see other cyclists doing very silly things quite often but even though I am massively tempted to say something to them I don't.

As a child in the 70s I received tuition in cycling and did the Cycling Proficiency test, as did just about every child at my school. The basic things I learned have been of great benefit to me ever since.

I believe it is best now to try and promote training and learning to other cyclists and when I see cyclists doing daft things it is a reminder to me of how necessary this is.

A great book for all cyclists on the roads of the UK is John Frankin's Cyclecraft. Reading this will make you much safer on the roads and greatly increase your enjoyment of riding on the roads.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    BigMonka wrote:
    In the end I didn't say anything, but was wondering if anyone else does? How is it normally received?

Occasionally, especially if they've nearly taken me out
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Its tricky innit? One part of you says "I'll mind my own business", the other "I may save that person's life". I have spoken to other 'cyclists' before, and have generally had a positive response. There is a type of 'person on a bike' that I would not approach - I guess its just intuition. Some people are willing to listen, others are zombies on 2-wheels.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • Only ones who aren't using lights in the dark.
    And then only if I think that I can out-pedal them if they get angry.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I got told off by a dude one time for not stopping at the lights. To be honest it was his fault.

I took an instant dislike to him (just one of those types, didnt acknowledge me at the lights, just stared into space with a look like he owned me) so i decided I didnt want to sit at every light and look at that face so just went, he caught up with me and asked 'Do you not like lights or something?'

I just couldn't be bothered with him so just let him on his way.

Stupid excuse but that was me getting told off! :oops:
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Not unless it's really stupid like riding the wrong way on a bike lane, but I often stop and ask people I see pushing their bikes up hills if they have a puncture!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    the question you should ask is, will me saying anything make them any less likely to do it agin in the future?

the answer is pretty much always no.

the other question is, will me saying something get me a whole load of abuse.

the answer is pretty much always yes.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • bigmonka
    Chris Bass wrote:
    the question you should ask is, will me saying anything make them any less likely to do it agin in the future?

the answer is pretty much always no.

the other question is, will me saying something get me a whole load of abuse.

the answer is pretty much always yes.
    :lol: Good answers!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Only if they endanger me personally.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    goonz wrote:
    I got told off by a dude one time for not stopping at the lights. To be honest it was his fault.

Love this.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • I don't tell off, I give advice.

Think the most common one is "Do you know your long coat is blocking your rear light?"
  • bigmonka
    I don't tell off, I give advice.

Think the most common one is "Do you know your long coat is blocking your rear light?"
    It really is amazing how often you see that.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    BigMonka wrote:
    I don't tell off, I give advice.

It really is amazing how often you see that.

on a similar but non cycling note, my dad used to work on a site where he had to explain why it was a good idea not to wear Camouflage jackets over their high vis vests!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    Where I live is a massive area for foreign language students who are a liability on their bikes. If I told off every cyclist I'd have a very miserable ride to work.

Twice in the last year I think I've shouted at someone...

One was a stupid girl cycling the wrong way up the cycling lane with me coming down the hill at some pace which made me pretty angry as it was just dangerous and I had to swerve in to the traffic to avoid the oncoming hazard.

The other time was when I was waiting to turn left at the lights and some guy who wanted to go straight across couldn't be bothered to wait, so he cycled on to the pavement, round the corner and decided to cycle across the road in my path just after the lights had gone green and I had set off.
  • MadammeMarie
    MadammeMarie Posts: 621
    BigMonka wrote:
    I saw some really poor cycling this morning with people undertaking a car which was obviously turning left - it's really lucky that no one got hurt.
    Anyway, I caught up with these people at the next set of lights and that moment of "shall I say something about how dangerous that was?". In the end I didn't say anything, but was wondering if anyone else does? How is it normally received?

I have a right go at people like them! I don't care if they get upset; maybe they will learn somthing!
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I've suggested to someone that he might find it easier and safer to not ride on the pavement. He rolled up to me at the next set of traffic lights and thanked me.
  • bigmonka
    jimmypippa wrote:
    I've suggested to someone that he might find it easier and safer to not ride on the pavement. He rolled up to me at the next set of traffic lights and thanked me.
    :shock: seriously? Do you really mean he swore at you?! :lol:
  • jimmypippa
    BigMonka wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:

Nope :D

He just looked a bit clueless, and as if he was cycling on the pavement because that's where he seemed to think he should cycle.
  • jcrofts
    jcrofts Posts: 34
    "Cyclists always jump the lights" is the most common complaint I hear from friends when we talk about cycling. It's stupid, it's dangerous and it frustrates drivers which they then occasionally take out on me... so yes, I've been known to shout "IT'S RED!" at other cyclists as they bomb through the lights I'm waiting at.
  • extrusion
    extrusion Posts: 247
    Ive wanted to shout at those nobbers who cycle on the pavement and then suddenly slip onto the road from a dropped kerb without looking, as im coming up from behind, but i'm too polite.
  • bigmonka
    extrusion wrote:
    Ive wanted to shout at those nobbers who cycle on the pavement and then suddenly slip onto the road from a dropped kerb without looking, as im coming up from behind, but i'm too polite.
    I normally make a "wooaahh" noise - to highlight that it was a bit close :D
  • -=mike=-
    -=mike=- Posts: 31
    Daz555 wrote:
    Only if they endanger me personally.

Second this, although hey may not even realise what they are doing.
  • sandhun
    sandhun Posts: 24
    I've done this, but not so much in a preaching / telling off way - you have to make it sound like it's for their benefit.

There's a particular stretch on my commute where the cars are backed up, going nowhere fast. I filter through the middle. I've seen a couple of cyclists going on the pavement alongside the road and have warned them by saying something along the lines of

"careful the Police don't see you cycling on the pavments around here, you could get a £30 on the spot fine"

If you say it in this way, it's normally well received. Having said that, they'll probably continue to do it anyway. And cyclist who jump reds really annoy me. They give the rest of us a bad name. There's no excuse, don't do it.
  • Ciar
    Ciar Posts: 28
    I have only recently took the plunge after finally finding a route i like, but Tuesday night while sitting down the side of bow flyover, some bloke decided that half a meter gap to my left was perfectly fine to squeeze through ;-) didn't have a go, I just said something along the lines of, why didn't you pick a smaller gap!

made me chuckle as he didn't actually get that far, i stuck with the cycle lane and flew past him.
  • I have been riding a bike again since Feb for the first time since I was a kid and getting through at lead 300 miles a month. I openly admit I still ride like a kid when it comes to lights and often go through a red or bump on to the footpath when traffic builds up. I consider myself a safe rider as when I go through a red I know the roads well and know the crossing lights are on Green so no car should go. Is this really frowned upon by other riders.

I go in and out of Manchester every day and no one on a bike really acknowledges you or comments on how you ride a bike. I suspect my style will change when I get off a mountain bike and on to a Hybrid or road bike.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa wrote:
    BigMonka wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:

Nope :D

He just looked a bit clueless, and as if he was cycling on the pavement because that's where he seemed to think he should cycle.

I see the same pair of muppets most mornings. One cycles along the pavement then swerves across the road (without looking) to continue on the other pavement on the right hand side of the road.

The other cycles slowly along the road and meets up with the first, whereupon she turns round and cycles slowly back along the road, talking to her mate who is cycling on the pavement. Yes that does mean that the cyclist on the road is on the right hand side.

I've come to the conclusion that if they are dim enough to come up with that as a routine, then there is probably nothing to say to them.
  • I told a guy that undertook a bus while it was pulling into a stop was "the most stupid thing I've ever seen". He shrugged...but did admit he didn't enjoy it :?
  • philwi
    philwi Posts: 19
    No. On the other hand if they are about to collide with me then by reaction I'll shout - you'll get a polite CTC word if you're probably not actually going to hit me, or it'll be a full force yell if I think I'm under serious threat. Sometimes that gets the violent ones upset, but there it is.

I have been "told off" by a cyclist, who thought that the left-filter "give way" I'd just been through was in fact governed by the nearby stop light. It's not, I know my routes and the law which I follow. On balance I'd rather have busy-body cyclists than careless ones, but it's all a dangerous game as many people are violent as well as stupid.
  • bigmonka
    I nearly said something to a guy this morning - it wasn't dangerous cycling this time it was the fact that his chain hadn't seen oil in a very very long time and that his back wheel was scarily far out of true!
  • bigmonka
    I started this thread because of a particular couple of junctions where I see people undertake cars turning left. Well this morning it finally happened and I watched the guy in front of me collide with a car. Fortunately it wasn't too serious and didn't cause any real damage to the car or person - but it shows that these things do happen!