Just Bought a Boardman Pro...

JC180
JC180 Posts: 9
edited June 2013 in Commuting general
Hi everyone, very much a cycling novice, all the gear and no idea type of guy but I have recently been expanding my fitness regime from Swimming to running to cycling and fancied a hybrid bike to cycle down the road to work, take out at the weekend and maybe the odd evening.

I considered a Specialized Sirrus Comp, Trek 7 Series and a Boardman Team/Pro.

The Trek seemed ok, lovely grips but wider tyres and V Brakes even with the top models in the range. I also couldn't try one in my size due to lack of stock. I rode a used spcialized Sirrus this morning and it rode really well. It had a few miles on it and was well work in but the saddle and grips were very comfortable and the gearshifts were very smooth. The gearing seemed too closely stacked though and the bottom 9 seemed mostly redundant. I liked the geometry and feel.

The Boardman Pro was bought not on feel as I could not ride it in Halfords but on reviews and spec. I also received £75 worth of free accessories due to a couple of minor marks on the bike and 10% British Cycling discount. I also will receive the VAT back as I am using it for work etc.

The Sirrus was a 2012 model for £450. The Boardman is £999 however with all the free extras (Boardman Carbon Helmet, Cateye computer etc) the Bike worked out at just £650 (£800 inc all accessories) not bad for a Boardman Pro! I therefore figured it was worth the £200 over a used Sirrus with V Brakes and wear to the tyres and running gear.

BUT, the problem with the boardman it feels like my cheap mountain bikes I used to have. The disc fouls the front pads lightly when the wheel spins free, and the Sram Rival gears rattle and crash from one to the other, also there is some clicking from the crank I think.

Do I take this back to Halfords and get them to sort for free (I use the word 'sort') somewhat skeptically, or take it to Cooksons in Whitefield and pay them to strip and set up correctly.

Clearly, it is a superb bike but my evening was ruined trying to sort the brakes and with couple of upsetting brief rides due to the gears.

Also, any idea where I can get those lovely specialized contoured grips and bars?

Thanks

JC

Comments

• godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I would take it to a "proper" bike shop. Yes it's Halfords' responsibility to sort it but the reality is they're unlikely to do a good job so you might as well bite the bullet and get someone who knows what they're doing to give it the once over. Shouldn't cost too much.

Or you could do a bit of research and tweak yourself. If you learn how to set-up and maintain your bike yourself it will save you quite a bit in the long run (and it's quite satisfying and you'll be more likely to be able to sort problems when you're out and about).
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Brakes have to bed in, as do gears. It probably just needs a tyune up ie the '6 week service'.

Take it back to Halfords to start.