chain ring upgrade? And Gloves.

12ounce
12ounce Posts: 5
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Hello all! New here so sorry if i make any mistakes.. Ive recently got more seriously into road cycling, and ive discovered that even in the highest gear on my bike (giant defy) Im struggling to reach a speed im happy with, and pedaling far too fast. What would be the best upgrade to sort this out? a new larger chain ring, or replace both to avoid a harsh increase in the step?

Ive also been using some lovely looking gloves bought for me by my girlfriends parents.. Theyve served me well in the past, but ive found that there's no padding in the right places, like across the bottom of my thumb for when my hands sit on the hoods. What gloves provide a good amount of padding on a bit of a budget?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!
K

Comments

• hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    A bit more information would help.

What chainset are you using at present? A compact (50/34)? Are you really spinning out in your top gear :o Do you have very fast descents where you live?

As for the gloves, most cycling specific mits and full finger gloves will have appropriate padding.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Presuming you have a compact with a 50t outer chainring and your smallest sprocket is a 12t, then pedalling at 80 rpm (which isn't that high), you will do 26.1 mph. How fast do you want to go?
  • denniskwok
    denniskwok Posts: 339
    edited June 2013
    lc1981 wrote:
    Presuming you have a compact with a 50t outer chainring and your smallest sprocket is a 12t, then pedalling at 80 rpm (which isn't that high), you will do 26.1 mph. How fast do you want to go?

I don't understand these gear calculators. I hit 33mph on my ride today, I felt like my cadence was under 90rpm and I had three gears to go still on my cassette (11 - 28t) using a compact crankset. The online calculators don't seem right?
  • 12ounce
    12ounce Posts: 5
    lc1981 wrote:

Im pretty sure its a 50t yes. Cant say for certain on the 12. My regular 15 mile commute has lots of descents and i feel like im spinning out quite a lot when i come to them.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    denniskwok wrote:
    lc1981 wrote:

I don't understand these gear calculators. I hit 33mph on my ride today, I felt like my cadence was under 90rpm and I had three gears to go still on my cassette (11 - 28t) using a compact crankset. The online calculators don't seem right?

The calculators merely calculate the distance your wheel will logically travel in a given gear; they don't account for momentum.

But as for this question, it is very common amongst new cyclists, and I'm afraid the simple answer is that you need to pedal faster. Optimal cadence for road cycling is probably higher than you are used to, but it will come with time.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    12ounce wrote:
    Hello all! New here so sorry if i make any mistakes.. Ive recently got more seriously into road cycling, and ive discovered that even in the highest gear on my bike (giant defy) Im struggling to reach a speed im happy with, and pedaling far too fast. What would be the best upgrade to sort this out? a new larger chain ring, or replace both to avoid a harsh increase in the step?

I doubt that you are actually in your "highest" gear(big ring in front and smallest cog in rear). Very few people can "out pedal" even a 50 -12 combination. Sounds to me like you're in your "lowest" or easiest gear(small front ring and large rear cog).