First upgrade

Shakey Bear
Shakey Bear Posts: 55
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
I am considering the purchase of a carbon seat stem as my first upgrade to my road bike - advice please?

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Don't.
    Cycling weakly
  • Save up for wheels, far better return on those that a seat post.
  • #david2012
    #david2012 Posts: 275
    Why a seat post? What's your thinking?
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    I think the value of a carbon seatpost is that it can be more comfortable than an aluminum one - due to the carbon post being more flexible.
    If comfort is the goal, then maybe the carbon post or a different saddle.

Other items to consider are: bar wrap, gloves, clothing, sunglasses, tires, lightweight inner tubes. I wouldn't bother with 'lighten the bike' by changing parts. Only exception is if the wheels are really unacceptable.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    1, saddle (if your current one is causing you grief)
    2, tyres (depends on what spec you are currently riding)
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    Same questions, same response!!

Tyres, tubes and brake pads.
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • chazh
    chazh Posts: 33
    All good advice here - it's easy to think that upgrades are needed or could be good, I know, but a real difference can be made from the simple things like tyres & tubes.

If you don't already have clipless pedals, though, they would be a sound investment - they absolutely transform pedalling and were the single best thing I've ever bought for the bike.
  • Thanks for the advice, wheels it is.
  • mrbrightside
    mrbrightside Posts: 214
    Tyres at around 200g a piece - I had to do an emergency pit stop on a club ride on Sunday. Rode into halfords with challenge forte on the rear and came out with a schwable Lugano on (350g). Felt like the brakes were rubbing it was that dead and slow to spool up.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I am considering the purchase of a carbon seat stem as my first upgrade to my road bike - advice please?

First tell us what bike you have with a link to the specification.