Tour Finish Paris - advice, please

2»

Comments

• typekitty
    typekitty Posts: 188
    Definitely doing hospitality package this year.

Waited, for 6 hours in the sun, with elbows out in 2011 along the Champs. It was brutal but once they came through it was magic. Wouldn't take back that experience for anything – first time I'd heard a pack of cyclists rush past and I still get goosebumps thinking about it. The atmosphere and the pushing and the dehydration – all part of it.

However, this year the mister will be 4 weeks into major abdominal surgery recovery. Not ideal for the above, so feel hospitality is the way to go.

Sky Fanzone looks great but man those Rapha Sky flags...
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    Another hijack but the seems best to ask here than start a new thread. Just wondered how people travel out there for it? Eurostar is expensive for a train and as I live in the back of beyond (Norfolk) there is no local option to fly. I was thinking of driving as the easiest and cheapest way to travel out to Paris, anybody else drive it and find any problems?
  • Hi, I am the host of the Team Sky Fanzone (which some call Brit Corner). We are on Facebook and Twitter https://www.facebook.com/groups/139830856157977 and @TeamSkyFanzone respectively. Our final stage Fanzone can be seen here at https://www.facebook.com/events/384168448327310/

We are also holding a spectating event if you are in Paris on Saturday 20th July at Le Frog XVI on Avenue Kleber from 1.30pm which can be seen at https://www.facebook.com/events/426900034043426/ so if you fancy discounted drinks and watching a potentially decisive day for the yellow jersey please come along and meet many cycling fans.

Oh, and you don't need to be British or a Team Sky fan to be welcome. Everyone is!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    That rapha supporters flag is epic hahahaha do people honestly buy this drivel?
  • That rapha supporters flag is epic hahahaha do people honestly buy this drivel?

Apparently, but not me it looks cheap and nasty. £20 for a 6'x4' flag, even when reduced to £5 on Evans Cycles it was a no-no. We just run events for fans (Team Sky or not, the name just makes sense) to enjoy cycling whether on the road or in a bar before the stage the next day. We could easily be called Bike Pure Fanzone or Team Belkin Fanzone.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Remember, this is Paris.

Behave like the locals. Treat every stanger with contempt and if they speak to you, shrug in the most apathetic way possible. If there are people on the barrier before you, why should you wait behind? It's Paris. Go nuts.
  • landofbo
    landofbo Posts: 21
    Cheers all, fanzone it is :D
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Thanks Dave - might pop in. Can't use FB at work so will check out the details later. On the day itself, is it actually worth trying to get somewhere to see the podium presentation after. Not sure where it actually is.

I think like last year we're going to ensconce ourselves in a cafe / bar on the Rue de Rivoli and just come out to the railings when the caravan passes.

My missus was thinking about going into the Tuileries - any advice on doing that (good / bad idea, viewpoints in the garden, lack of shade maybe etc)
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    The Rue d Rivoli presents the best of viewing slots, especially on the park sidewhich has toilets. Also, remember that the metro opens as soon as the race finishes, so you can jump on the metro (no ticket required) one stop up the Champs, to see the podium presentation
  • dsoutar wrote:
    Thanks Dave - might pop in. Can't use FB at work so will check out the details later. On the day itself, is it actually worth trying to get somewhere to see the podium presentation after. Not sure where it actually is.

I think like last year we're going to ensconce ourselves in a cafe / bar on the Rue de Rivoli and just come out to the railings when the caravan passes.

My missus was thinking about going into the Tuileries - any advice on doing that (good / bad idea, viewpoints in the garden, lack of shade maybe etc)

Difficult to get to see the podium due to it taking place in the heart of the VIP area just after the finish line which is about 200-250m away from the Rond Point des Champs Elysees and unless the riders on the podium turn and face towards the Arc you may only see the backs of a head. Tuileries is an option though narrow as only a pavement that holds 8 deep and if you try to go near Place de la Concorde you hit VIP areas/tribunes on that side by the garden.

It is all down to personal preference really so best option is if you like something then you can stick to it, I just find that the facilities where we usually stand outside Publicis (though this year about 30m further up) is great for everything from food/drink to toilets plus normally when there is a parade lap (not this year due to late time of stage) we see them at the top getting their photos and shout the riders over for photos and autographs.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    ...normally when there is a parade lap (not this year due to late time of stage) we see them at the top getting their photos and shout the riders over for photos and autographs.

Really ? Is that official ? That's a pity. I know it's much later but it's not as if they've got a race the next day !
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    I've watched from the park side of the Rue de Rivoli a few times, normally just inside the 1km to go banner. There's a wall with a railing that you can stand on to get a decent view. The people at the railings next to the road normally thin out after a few laps so you can get up close. We usually rock up about an hour before the riders are due to show up and have always managed to get a good enough viewing spot. Only downside is that the riders don't go down the RdR on their 'laps of honour' and there is no big screen to keep an eye on the action (and find out who won!).
  • dsoutar wrote:
    ...normally when there is a parade lap (not this year due to late time of stage) we see them at the top getting their photos and shout the riders over for photos and autographs.

Really ? Is that official ? That's a pity. I know it's much later but it's not as if they've got a race the next day !

Has been for a very long time, replaced by a firework show. That is direct from ASO as well. Expect the race to finish at about 10pm. A reat time will be had anyway as we tend to have a lot of fun up there from early in the morning in order to pass the time and we all sit down and have a good roadside picnic at lunch time too. Shops and toilets are very close plus people are very kind and let you back to your initial spot.

What to expect: Mexican waves, plenty of talking, making new friends, great spot to watch the race (30 seconds or more per lap), and 3 people attempting to push in before I read the riot act and summon the troops to hold their ground, intimate knowledge of the area, and final lap commentary to the finish to discover the final stage winner!

What not to expect: People getting away with pushing in at 3pm or later, not having a good time, and a lack of friendliness.
  • Also, if you are in Le Frog XVI on the Saturday you can find out some inside information on exactly what we have planned for Sunday as well as if you are doing the Champs Elysees ride a place to leave your belongings whilst completing it!