Shadow+ or not?

shdaxner
shdaxner Posts: 249
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Thinking of trying out a shadow+ rear der but don't really want to be shelling out the extra for the XT model so i was thinking of getting the SLX version instead, now what i'm wanting to know; is it going to be worth upgrading from the current rear der that i'm running? will there be a noticeable difference in shifting performance? and the difference between XT shadow+ and SLX shadow+ is that just the weight?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you are getting lots of chainslap, then consider it.

The main difference is weight and build quality.
  • shdaxner
    I do get quite abit of chainslap...but TBH that's what i use a chainstay protector for....is there no difference in shifting performance? i thought i read there was.

If i do go shadow+ it is probably worth going the extra for the XT then i suppose.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The shifting does go a bit stiffer - but you can dial in the tension of the clutch.
  • shdaxner
    Cheers SS.
  • Barrelmaker
    Barrelmaker Posts: 188
    I have an xt shadow+ dérailleur, it is nice and quiet but i didn't notice how quiet until i rode a friends bike with a normal xt. If your current one is okay just stick with it. If it is in need of replacement then I would go shadow+.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I get minimal chain slap on my Rockhopper with the following setup;

2x10, GS (non-clutch) mech, Blackspire Stinger

...but I'm currently building a full susser.

Am I right in thinking a clutch mech will be more beneficial on a full susser than a hardtail?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • mattyg2004
    mattyg2004 Posts: 196
    I've just converted my spark from 3x9 to 3x10 and it feels like a different bike. Just having a few extra gears were I need them and it made climbing fireroads sooo much easier.

I also felt that I didn't need to keep changing up a ring either

Ooops slightly OT. However I changed to 3x10 in order to get a clutchd RD. As my chain was jumping off middle to granny then granny to frame.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Only worth it IMO if chain slap is an issue. Even if you get chainslap, if it isn't causing an issue then why bother? I don't hear my bike much anyway once i'm concentrating on the trail. Up to you at the end of the day though.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    agree with what others have said. Its nice to have but not essential in any way.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    I'm getting one but only because my old one needs replacing, I'd not bother upgrading just for the sake of it.