Noob here, have some questions

clixt
clixt Posts: 5
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Hey guys, so I bought a really old (not even sure how old it is..) road bike, and it has a downtube shifter. Since I'm a noob, I'm not used to it and I'm thinking of upgrading the shifter that is located on the handlebar so that I could shift while I'm holding the handle bar. Where should I begin? The bike is Quintana Roo 650c with a Shimano 600 drivetrain (7 rear cogs; 2 front cogs). Front wheels were replaced because the original wheels were just bent badly..

EDIT: Yup it is purple with a splash of green paint (avoid theft...) lol
c596b1f6-1f81-4eb3-8c06-b48cca08d99f.jpg

Comments

• cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    If you google and ebay 'bar end gear shifters' you'll find what you're after.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I would begin by cutting that rear brake cable to a sensible length personally! It is also cabled in a continental style, so make sure you are happy with left hand front braking etc. or swap it back (you may well be on the continent of course).

7 speed STI shifters might take a little hunting down. Shimano allegedly make the tourney range with an sti shifter now, but I can't find a retail outlet for them. Bar end shifters may also work for you and will be easier to find.

Nice frames, my girlfriend had one for a while. But not worth splashing out masses of cash on.
  • clixt
    hipshot wrote:

@cyco2: Bar end shifters are a bit awkward though, and I have a rear view mirror installed already.
    And yes, that Sora shifters looks like it will fit my need. Thanks!!
    Too bad I live in the US...

EDIT: would this work? Is it a reasonable price??
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-RSX-SHI ... 2c6fea1df4

EDIT 2: or this?
    http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-ST-A070-S ... ra+shifter
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    Forgive me for appearing condescending, but you haven't been using the shifters long enough to judge. Like anything, it just takes a little practice.

There is a reason why downtube shifters weren't superceded by the various alternatives proposed (stem mount, bar end, etc); they work very well. Very reliable, too. I admit to having never tried bar ends, but they look as awkward to use as the critics say. I see no benefit over downtube shifters at all.

You could get some 7 speed STI levers (assuming that the cable routing would work) if you wanted, but it would cost you.
  • clixt
    Forgive me for appearing condescending, but you haven't been using the shifters long enough to judge. Like anything, it just takes a little practice.

There is a reason why downtube shifters weren't superceded by the various alternatives proposed (stem mount, bar end, etc); they work very well. Very reliable, too. I admit to having never tried bar ends, but they look as awkward to use as the critics say. I see no benefit over downtube shifters at all.

You could get some 7 speed STI levers (assuming that the cable routing would work) if you wanted, but it would cost you.

True, practice makes perfect... That said, thanks guys!
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    I admit to having never tried bar ends, but they look as awkward to use as the critics say. I see no benefit over downtube shifters at all. quote]

After down tube shifters the only option for changing gear was the bar end type and they were highly favoured by the cyclo-cross riders. Now I can understand a critic of bar end levers may never have done a cyclo-cross race but for off-road riders they were the safest way to change gear without losing contact with the bars. If STI levers had not been invented there would have been a mixture of tube and bar end shifters in the TDF peleton today.
    Also if you were to do time trials with aero bars you would may find it was the only way to change gear.
    I think you would find them safe and comfortable to use if you gave them a try.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.