Bristol CX

Benjamin Hall
Benjamin Hall Posts: 608
edited June 2013 in Amateur race
Howdi folks. This is a bit of a plug really but i hope the mods wont cut it because im not selling anything.

A few local cross racers and I have recently decided to set up a dedicated Cyclocross club for the Bristol area. The aim is basically just to help promote cross and get more people racing and riding on drops and nobbly tyres.

We want to have riders racing at all levels, from local to national trophy. We are starting small but hey ho, thats the best way.

If you want to get involved or know anybody who might then come and say hello on facebook.https://www.facebook.com/groups/141676116027615/

zdenek-stybar-quick-step-gear11-japan.jpg This could be you.!

Cheers

Ben

Comments

• Clarke_111
    Clarke_111 Posts: 22
    Hi Ben,

This looks interesting, I am Bristol ish based and looking to get into cross this year, I don't have Facebook though (I know, I know) so joined up here to get some more info (long time forum stalker). Be good if you could let me know more.

Cheers, and hi to everyone here!

Chris
  • Hello mate, thanks for replying.

In terms of info, there isnt really that much as we are just starting out. At the moment there are 5 members/riders, 4 seniors and 1 vet.

All of us have been racing the Western Cyclocross League and the Western Summer Cross league over the last season or two. With some success.

The plan is to continue racing in the Western League but also to branch out into other leagues and also the National Trophy series (who doesnt like getting a kicking!). Finances allowing I also intend to race abroad this winter (hopefully my missus isnt reading this).

We intend to affiliate with British cycling and be a 'proper' club.

There will be a club kit, it will look great! It is being designed by a designer friend at the moment...but i will give a hint as to the style... Gulf GT40.

The basic aim is to promote cross in the area. That means putting on races, looking for new venues and just generally getting people involved in the fun/chaos/pain that is Cyclocross.

There is a Summer cross race at Hengrove Park tomorrow night at 7pm if you want to come down and give it a bash. You can ride any bike you want, its go-cross so you don't need a license. I think it is £11 to race.

If you do come down and want to chat about the club, I'l be there in a blue, black and white Bristol Road Club skinsuit.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Ben
  • Clarke_111
    Clarke_111 Posts: 22
    Hi Ben,

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about heading down to Hengrove tomorrow with the MTB (no cross bike...yet) so presuming I can get away from work in time I might give it a bash... is it a 7pm start?

Sounds good anyhow, though I am not expecting 'some success' or indeed any success in the local league, never mind national series..!

Cheers
  • Briilliant! MTB Will be fine. 7pm start.

I should also have said, we intend to run some cross bike club runs and some 'training sessions' once cross season get's underway.

Hopefully see you tomorrow.

Ben
  • the_prophet
    the_prophet Posts: 426
    i'll be interested later in the year, i'll join the f.b group now. 8)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Just out of interest, are the existing Bristol cycling clubs not involved much in cross then? Just wondering the reasoning behind setting up such a specific club in an area that on the face of it is well served by cycling clubs.
  • Some local clubs do have cross riders but the road clubs are naturally more focused on road racing.

You can race cross pretty much all year round now and a good few of us are turning away from the road. Cross is hilarious, murderously painful and generally safe.

I wanted to take cross a bit more seriously this year and whilst talking to a few other guys at races, it seemed that we all wanted a club whose primary objective was to race, train for and promote cyclocross in the locality.

We arnt the first cross specific club...www.laatste-ronde.cx/ have been going for a year or so and seeing the support that they were giving each other at races in the winter helped convince me to go ahead with BristolCX.

Hopefully having the organisation of the club structure can help us do better in races, by sorting out pit crews and things like that.

Clark_111, did you make it down to Hengrove?

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Ben
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    No summer races around here but the season is starting earlier and earlier. As a club we have a large turn out in cross races and some very good youth riders but most riders around here are the same people you see all year round on the road scene. My club is putting on a round of the National Trophy at Abergavenny again so a fairly local round for you lot. Might do a few myself this year, been 20 years since I last did one and the races have changed a lot since then back to 'proper' cross racing whereas in the 90s they became like mini MTB races and weren't treated seriously by many riders. Julian Winn made his name in the local cross races before going on to be a top roadie.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Good luck with the club Ben!
  • Cheers Mark.

I will definitely be at the Abergavenny round Pross, looking forward to getting an absolute kicking!! Get your cross bike out and give it another bash mate you wont regret it! (well....you will, but only for an hour. And then you'l be smiling again).

Here's what is looking like the most likely club kit option.
    BNyScZyCcAAtuI8.png:large

You can now find BristolCX on twitter if you are so inclined. https://twitter.com/BristolCX

Cheers