Post fork servicing questions?

supertwisted
supertwisted Posts: 565
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just done a travel adjust on my 2011 Recon Silver TKs (solo air). They were originally 100mm, I've removed the spacer to make them 120mm.

However, on measuring them, they are now 130mm - I'm assuming that is because they will be 120mm when sagged? I dimly recall they measured around 110mm prior to adjustment so that should be correct.

Secondly, they make a shushing noise as they decompress. I can't for the life of me remember if they did before hand (not used them for a while) and now post DIY paranoia is making me think it's not right. Have cycled them a few times and they feel fine, no leaks etc. I'm probably just being dim here.

Thanks all
Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    The noise is just the damping circuits making a noise, it's normal, and varies depending on the amount of damping you've set.
    what exactly are you measuring? the travel, is how much movement the forks will have from maximum extension to maximum compression.
    Not, necessarily, how much leg they're showing.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Did you measure the size of the spacer you removed? When you let all the air out can you compress the fork through all it's travel?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • supertwisted
    what exactly are you measuring? the travel, is how much movement the forks will have from maximum extension to maximum compression.
    Not, necessarily, how much leg they're showing.

Ah - yes I was measuring exposed stanchion .
  • supertwisted
    Did you measure the size of the spacer you removed? When you let all the air out can you compress the fork through all it's travel?

Yep, spacer was exactly 20mm. The forks compressed all the way in bar 10mm of stanchion showing with the air out.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Remember that there's a rubber bottom-out bumper, too. That makes the last few mm of travel almost impossible to obtain without actually riding.
  • supertwisted
    Cheers, sounds like all is correct then in that case.