78mm crankset

GSlice
GSlice Posts: 10
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,
In a bit of a quandry...
I have a Yeti 575 with a 73mm BB shell. In order to put on a chain device (which is already on there) I need to put in a spacer to bolt the chain device to.
Currently there are race face DH cranks on there that fit nicely, but I am looking at a new, lighter set, as I'm trying to drop the overall weight of the bike.
So the question is: does anyone know where I can get cranks (any brand) that can handle a 78mm BB shell (i.e. 73mm plus the spacer width)?

I don't know that much about cranks, etc, so any advice/whatever would be appreciated.

Cheers
G

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Doesn't it have ISCG tabs?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • GSlice
    No, it's a 2008 frame, so I guess as it's a bit older it doesn't come with them. Otherwise, I think everything would be ok, but this just makes it a bit awkward....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shimano Hollowtech 2 are set up for a 73mm shell with a standard 2.5mm spacer (75.5mm total), what makes you think your spacer will be twice as thick as the norm?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • GSlice
    Thanks. No reason to think, just was working off the top of my head what the spacer width was...couldn't remember what I measured the other day. Either way, it's the first time I've read that a bb will handle a 73mm shell plus a spacer. Now time to choose which one!
    Cheers
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    simple. bin your cranks and fit any shimano ones.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown