Virgin cyclone, how is it?

spatt77
spatt77 Posts: 324
Hi, got the cyclone coming up this month, never done it before, so was just wondering if theres any thing i should know regarding the route? doing the 63 miler,is it pretty similar to the northern angel in terms of difficulty? cheers

Comments

• spatt77
    really,can`t beleive has NOBODY done both of these for a comparision? :(
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    there are a few posts on here about the ride

doesnt answer your question as to how they compare, but useful all the same.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • spatt77
    Cheers for the help Cleat, ive read a few of them threads before but useful all the same. :D i did the wiggle northern angel last year, just the 63 mile route and found it quite tough in places but i was on my cross bike and was less fit than i am now! This year am doing it on a proper road bike so in "theory" should be a tad easier,was just wondering if the route was tougher than the angel route thats all :D
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    not done the wiggle one but looking at the map, there's probably not much in it, apart from the ryals on the Cyclone which are over in a few minutes anyway

what's gannin on with that wiggle website ? Is the map deliberately crap in case it gets nicked ?
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Did the Cyclone last year and wasn't blown away by its difficulty. I was halfway up The Ryals when I found out it was meant to be the tough climb at the end of the ride everyone had been talking about! Still a pleasant day though.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I did the Ryals climb as prep on the tail end of a 74 mile ride a couple of weeks back. Really nothing to worry about.
    http://veloviewer.com/Segment/978613

I migrated the 104 mile route to Ride With GPS: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2649911

I've signed up for the 104 mile route this year and here's a shameless plug to see if I can raise a bit of cash for the British Heart Foundation: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/LukeD
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • spatt77
    thanks for the info guys :D lets just hope the weather is good! :)
  • Lifeboy123
    Lifeboy123 Posts: 213
    I don't think you'll find the 63 cyclone as hard as the wiggle 63, which is a good test
    I did the wiggle 63 last year because the 80 and 100 were similar to the 100 mile cyclone
    Some decent climbs on the wiggle but i think youll find the ride back home from the wiggle is an easier run in than the cyclone 63
  • Initialised
    I did the 104mile route today, there are a few nasty climbs but nothing really brutal.

The last 20 miles or so was the fastest for me, something just clicked, I had someone slip streaming me most of that stretch. Sometimes when you push yourself it can be surprising.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Supergnorton
    Supergnorton Posts: 278
    I did that today, most of the hills weren't bad at all but the first part of the Ryals was a bit chewy with 80+ miles in the legs. Think there was a slight tailwind for that last 20 fortunately.

It was a bit breezy and I did most of it solo after working with someone until the first feed, I stopped he didn't.

Jeff
  • spatt77
    hi, thanks for the responses guys, yeah i did the 63 mile route didnt find it to tough, thought the "ryals" were a bit overhyped to be honest. but nice ride all the same and the weather was good, might jump in to 104 next year :)
  • Initialised
    I did that today, most of the hills weren't bad at all but the first part of the Ryals was a bit chewy with 80+ miles in the legs. Think there was a slight tailwind for that last 20 fortunately.

It was a bit breezy and I did most of it solo after working with someone until the first feed, I stopped he didn't.

Jeff
    No, that wasn't all tailwind was it?
    spatt77 wrote:
    hi, thanks for the responses guys, yeah i did the 63 mile route didnt find it to tough, thought the "ryals" were a bit overhyped to be honest. but nice ride all the same and the weather was good, might jump in to 104 next year :)
    The 104 was great but I had done a couple of ~75 milers through similar terrain as prep.

I think I'm hooked, I've looked up a few more sportives and will probably sign up for a couple more this year.
  • Ad Hynkel
    Ad Hynkel Posts: 17
    Once again, well organised and well stocked at the feed stations out on Ride C. Set off reasonably early is key to make sure you don't miss out on the bait, as I found 4 years ago.

For newbies, if you manage 200m (vertical) plus climbs in training then there is nothing to trouble you here. A long steady climb before the run down to Elsdon feed station, a bit of steep one out of Bellingham (but mercifully short) and the Ryals. As the other have said the Ryals is more the psychological hurdle of where it is towards the end of the ride and the hidden 2nd step than the actual steepness and height. After that it's a 20 mile or so blast...if you have been keeping up with food and drink. Get signed up next year and get out training to enjoy it fully. It's a fairly social ride too...once the gold medal hunters have passed out of sight!