Rotors and adaptors for Hope Evo Stealth M4/X2 upgrade

hilbertspace
hilbertspace Posts: 19
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello all,

I have run my stock mechanical discs into the ground and am looking for an upgrade. From lurking around a bit I have seen that people often recommend Hope M4 front, X2 rear combination so I am quite set on that, but I have a few questions.

Front (Currently running 180mm):
What I have been unable to find, is a definite answer as to whether one should use a 183mm or 180mm saw rotor on the front with the M4. I have found talk of the Mono M4, is that the same as the Evo M4? Would I need a different adaptor to run 183mm? I have heard that using 183mm on a 180mm adaptor results in an underutilisation of rotor surface area causing uneven wear, is this true?

Rear (Currently running 160mm):
I have been unable to find the hope saw rotors specifically for the X2s, most are labelled "Mini/MM4". Are these compatible with the X2s?

And as far as adaptors are concerned: Both are post on the caliper side at the moment. Does that mean I can keep them as long as I keep the same rotor sizes even though the caliper brands are different? (Shimano -> Hope)

Many thanks for your help,

Sam

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    would not bother with the Hope.

what bike and what use?

for me I would get some Formula brakes. others will say Shimano.

adaptors. if the fitting is the same and the rotors that same then they will put the calipers in the correct place but the caliper body may or may not fit cleanly.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thank you for your quick reply.

Bike is hardtail for XC. Current mechs. don't have anywhere near enough stopping power for downhill sections.

And current adaptors are post to post on front and IS to post on back (M4/X2 are both post as far as I am aware). And depending on my 183/180 query, rotors sizes will be the same.
  • For anyone reading this thread with the same queries:

183mm (not 180mm) should be used with the M4 Evos.
    Hopes "floating" rotors should be used too.

I have an additional questions for anyone running m4/x2 combo:

I'm told that the levers differ substantially, the M4 being big flip flop levers, and the x2 being a smaller left or right race type lever. Is this true?
    If so, is it not an issue/does it not bother you that your levers have a different shape/feel?

Many thanks,

Sam
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I doubt many people are actually running that combination, really, but you could ask these people:
    I have seen that people often recommend Hope M4 front, X2 rear combination
    I would take Nick's advice.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thank you fro your reply.

If you don't mind me asking, why is it that you both recommend Formula over Hope?
    I had a quick look into the Formula range, seems like my price range allows R1s. Good choice?

Many thanks,
  • cooldad
    I would recommend Shimano. New ones are the best you can get for the money and bulletproof.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • desmojen
    desmojen Posts: 136
    I have the combination of which you speak. The tech lever is the same throughout the range and you use the adapter to suit whatever disc you decide to run. I have a 200mm Avid HS1 on the front and a 183mm Hope Saw on the back. You don't have to run floating, or 183mm if it doesn't suit you to do so. In my case I cannot use a floating one on the front because it runs too close to the fork leg.
    Brake choice is a pretty personal thing, I chose Hope, and continue to do so, based on the fact that the spares backup is excellent and the price of said spares is reasonable. The same cannot be said for Shimano unfortunately.

Jen.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • 123oldman
    123oldman Posts: 268
    Best brake for the outlay = Shimano M596 Deores without question. For an XC bike, you'll have more than enough stopping power using 180/160 combo.

Have these on my HT, fantastic brakes -

Have Formula 'the ones' on the 575 - Again great stopping power but I actually prefer the feel of the Deores out of them both.

Riding friend has Hopes on his rig, having tried my bikes is now planning to swap across to Shimano's in the near future.. make of it what you will :shock:
  • So now I've been recommended Hope, Formula, and Shimano.

Thank you all for your input but I'm quite confused!

My budget is ~£350 (rotors included)
  • supersonic
    I'll confuse you even more ;-)

Have a look at the Magura MT4. Light, powerful, good modulation, excellent warranty.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    :lol:

I just got a set of MT2's and they are very decent brakes too with some nice features - lightweight, flip/flop design (useful for France), all black, nice levers. Prefer the SLX but not a lot in it at all. Both great brakes IMO
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Hope and Formula are over-priced, Hopes legendary backup is only so well known as stuff breaks all the time and from experience spares for Maguras are illusive at best.

For that kinda cash you could get xtr's but in all honestly you'd more than happy with XT's which even with ice-tech rotors will come in way under your budget. They are leagues better than my old x2's and a mates m4's which seem very under-powered, are pretty heavy for what you get and expensive. I see no reason to recommend Hope at all and those that do are either a) stupidly patriotic or b) simply haven't tried any shimano brakes. They are IMO the best brakes out there by a distance and I wouldn't want to use anything else. XT's with new ice tech rotors, job done, end of thread. Use the money saved on other bike related bling! 8)

Can we not just have a huge sign in this section that just says match any shimano brake to your budget, buy, ride bike, end of story?!
  • Ok so many people have suggested Shimano now. The M985 with 180/160 Ice tech rotors come in at budget.
    The Saint M820 come in just over budget, are they worth the extra cash?

Thanks,
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Totally different brake.
  • supersonic
    Mt4s just won an MBUK test, ahead of XT. Good brakes, good weight.
  • I can afford XTRs which I assume are better than XTs? So I should take them over the MT4s?

Thanks
  • After reading several bad reviews for the XTR M985s on Chain Reaction Cycles , and reading nothing but glowing reviews from the XTR M988s everywhere I decided to go for them.

This is what I ended up with:

jONGKgv.png

Am going climbing this weekend but can't wait until the one after so I can go and play with them!

Thank you all for your great help.
  • cooldad
    Seems a lot for new brakes. Budget blown.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Wait a mo. you've now got xtr trail brakes with an 8 speed drive train? Is that £23 for some grips?
  • Yes. Unfortunately I have an 8 speed drive train.

My current levers/shifters are combi so had to buy new shifters at same time got new brakes.

Can't afford to buy new drive train bits at the moment as current set up isn't very worn.

Brakes on the other hand are completely dysfunctional so had to buy them! (Maybe not at that price but I recently got my tax return so no damage done!)
  • Chunkers1980
    You could have got a whole slx brake group for £440, same as just those brakes.
  • What does that mean? :/
  • Chunkers1980
    Sorry, I was talking rubbish, you could have got XT for just over a tenner more:

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... ilver.html
  • Hmm, that does seem like a very good deal!

Seems you can also get groupsets excluding brakes though:

http://www.actionsports.de/gb/Component ... 39858.html

Maybe my next purchase! ;)
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    For once chunkers is actually talking some sense, that is insane buying xtr brakes when you could have saved a shed load of cash buying cheaper brakes that function just a well I might add, I couldn't feel a difference between xtr's and my xts and deores are just as good! As chunkers rightly points out, you could have had a whole xt group set for a tenner more and believe me that will make a bigger difference to your bike than a set of xtr brakes and 8 speed drivetrain. That's just madness what you've done, send the brakes back, come to your senses and buy the whole group if you're willing to spend that much!!