Break change question

Ska1975
Ska1975 Posts: 48
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Bit of a Noob question.

I recently changed the break pads on my bike and when I started riding the lever pulled all the way back to the bars with little stopping power which obviously was a bit of a worry.

As the ride progressed the breaks become firmer and eventually all was well. I am sure that when I changed breaks before this wasn't an issue and was wondering if it was normal?

Any advice gladly accepted.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Simple, don't break your brake pads........

Normal, you pushed the pistons all the way back and it can take a while for them to settle back out to where they need to be.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Common sense generally dictates, however, that you at least squeeze the brake lever and test for functionality before heading out for a ride.
    If you'd have squeezed it a few times, you'd be all set.
  • Ska1975
    Common sense generally dictates

Well I haven't got any of that!

I just wondered why it took a while for them to settle in.
    Simple, don't break your brake pads........

I didn't they just wore down and time dictated that I fixed them in the car park rather than before i left home.

Thanks for the tips.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think you missed his not so subtle dig.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Clearly too subtle....

They are BRAKE pads, break is when you cause a mechanical failure....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ska1975
    Ha what a tit, clearly my eyes aren't what they were.