ebay - could this be a scam?

2»

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    rodgers73 wrote:
    I'm not selling a frame!!!

Exactly. Accept his offer. He'll pay and claw the money back trying to rip you off. You don't post the frame despite telling him you have trying to rip him off. Everybody finishes where they started and everybody's happy.

What frame is it?
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    GiantMike wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:
    I'm not selling a frame!!!

Exactly. Accept his offer. He'll pay and claw the money back trying to rip you off. You don't post the frame despite telling him you have trying to rip him off. Everybody finishes where they started and everybody's happy.

What frame is it?

:lol::lol:

Anyway. I've refunded him and relisted the item on ebay.

I think that's case closed!
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    This is brilliant :)

You have a point though but to avoid breaking any laws I suggest you do this.

You have accepted the money, now withdraw it to your bank.

At this point you have legally accepted a contract to supply goods and failure to supply means you are committing a crime of theft.

Now send a letter to the address, send it recorded (maybe £3) asking for confirmation of address as this now means you are not trying to not send goods but instead verifying an address.

I doubt you will get a response which means you have done nothing illegal and if you do, you can decide to send or refund but I reckon thats the last you will hear of it until a chargeback happens which in a case of less than £50 means you wont have the cash taken back off your paypal account.
    Living MY dream.
  • rodgers73
    If this guy is a scammer I doubt he'll be worried about me breaking any laws. He'll move on to the next attempt, although I'm expecting a few nasty messages.

Refund has been sent now so its too late anyway.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    I've lost it somewhere along the line.

Are you selling a waterproof jacket to "You've been framed"?

:lol:

The older I get, the better I was.

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    If the buyer does this chargeback thing, what happens if you've already moved the money from your paypal account to your bank account???
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • VTech
    drlodge wrote:
    If the buyer does this chargeback thing, what happens if you've already moved the money from your paypal account to your bank account???

PayPal automatically take it from your bank as a charge, you agree to this in the t's and c's when opening a PayPal account/
    Living MY dream.
  • If I bought a frame and seller sent me a waterproof jacket like you did I would claim my money back as well - clearly a scam
  • rodgers73
    The money hasn't been near my bank account - it stayed in my Paypal account until I refunded him. He was pretty quick in his replies earlier. Strangely quiet since I refunded the payment though.

I'm not selling a frame. I'm selling a framed Ferrari waterproof jacket.
  • rodgers73 wrote:
    The money hasn't been near my bank account - it stayed in my Paypal account until I refunded him. He was pretty quick in his replies earlier. Strangely quiet since I refunded the payment though.

If it's a 56cm I'm interested. Is it BB30?
  • rodgers73
    Yes. With a hood and zip-up pockets.
  • rodgers73
    Couple of nagging emails asking me to post it asap this morning, but no threats of legal action!
  • VTech
    direct emails or through ebay ?
    Living MY dream.
  • rodgers73
    Direct
  • VTech
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Direct

if your interested, pm me your number or i can pm you mine, ill show you how to trace where the email was sent from just to ease your mind.
    Living MY dream.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    How much were you selling the frame for exactly ?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rodgers73
    I'm sorry, you need to bid on ebay if you want to buy it.
  • rodgers73
    VTech wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Direct

if your interested, pm me your number or i can pm you mine, ill show you how to trace where the email was sent from just to ease your mind.

Thanks very much but I'm going to leave this sorry episode where it lies. A lesson learned!
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    rodgers73 wrote:

I mr Sam oversea business director for Gold Bank of Nigeria, my acquaintance prince diamond very like Ferrari coat you sell, he wish to buy direct with you please inform me your full bank detail so we may proceed with business, you ship me goods and I get them so I then send money, you trust me friend I am colleague of prince. Please contact me soon so we do business, much thank you, Mr Sam.

:P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • rodgers73
    This gets odder. I sold the jacket (not a frame) to a normal UK bloke for just about the same price the scammer offered me. He seems to have given up now. I haven't heard anything for a few days, but I have heard from Paypal who emailed me to say the guy's account wont accept the refund I sent him so I now have the funds back in my Paypal fund.

At the moment I appear to be up on this deal.
  • VTech
    Because the card used to pay you didn't link to his bank account (i.e) stolen.

Don't worry, the issuing bank will claim it back sooner or later.
    Living MY dream.
  • rodgers73
    I'll leave the funds in place for now then
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    I think that ebay has become a haven for scammers and fraudsters nowadays.

My thrice sold sofa was the last straw for me.