Chain length - cassette ratio - RD type.

freshe
freshe Posts: 63
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Well, I'm really trying hard - I don't want to bring my bike to LBS and want to do it all by myself. But I guess I have to learn the hard way. So my next issue is fitting the chain - or maybe there's no issue but I need confirmation that I'm approaching this problem from the right angle.

I have these items fitted on the bike already.

Shimano Deore XT CS-M771-10 Cassette 10-speed - 11-34 ratio

Shimano Deore XT FC-T781 Crankset 3x10-speed 48-36-26

Shimano Deore XT RD-T780-SGS Rear Derailleur long

Now if I understand the manual correctly to get the correct chain length I need to put it on the largest sprocket at the rear and largest chainring in front. And the RD's cage should be at 90 degrees angle in relation to the ground. Now in shimanos manual it says to also add 2 extra links from where the both ends meet. But in my case if I want to make those end meet, the cage is being pulled aditional 30+ degrees towards the front of the bke - and I don't really have any spare links to add. I could simply take the wheel off and joint the chain or keep the chain on the smallest sprockets but is this chain long enough for my set up, or should I be using shorter RD ?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    big big and one full link 1" (one inner and one outer) rear mech has nothing to do with it.

if a fully check for chain grow before cutting the chain.

read the info on Parktools
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • freshe
    Ahh... I did thread the chain through RD...
  • freshe
    thanks all for help, looks like I need 55 links.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    freshe wrote:
    Ahh... I did thread the chain through RD...
    the rear mech has no bearing on chain length.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • spacedog
    spacedog Posts: 97
    If you have a full suspension bike you'll need to take that into account.