Rockshox reverb - MMX lever (?) + lowest price?

rapid_donkey
rapid_donkey Posts: 448
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
After a Rockshox Reverb, 30.9 X 420mm with r/h remote (to mount upside down on l/h side).

Everywhere only seems to do them with MMX levers which seem to only be compatible with special brakes. I have Avid Elixir 3's. Do they come with a normal clamp aswell?

Also, where is cheapest for one? Ive seen Merlin doing them cheap but only in 31.6. Bike-discount.de seem to be pretty cheap, but Im a bit worried about buying abroad and any possible warranty claims.

Cheers.

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    yes you can mount it on your handlebar. Bike-Discount.de seems to be consistently the cheapest for Reverbs. Worried about buying abroad?..from Germany?...what are you worried about :?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • spender86
    spender86 Posts: 48
    Have you tried Planet X?
  • rapid_donkey
    Thanks for the replies.

Im not worried about buying from Germany as such, just more about contact and sending it back if anything went wrong. It also doesnt appear to come with a bleeding kit if buying from Germany.

I will just keep shopping around, much easier now I know the MMX will mount fine to the bars!
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I bought a bespoke custom built shock for my Triumph from Wilbers in Germany. The guy who fielded all my email technical queries before the build spoke better English than a lot of English people and even when the shock had to go back to them for rebuilding (due to a mistake with the spring/damping spec) that was handled quickly and efficiently, again with no communication problems. The only downside was the cost of returning it to Germany (it only took two days, but cost me about £25), other than that it was no different to dealing with any British company, and a whole lot better than many I have dealt with. My only complaint was that I feel they should've covered the cost of my returning it, since it was their mistake.
  • rapid_donkey
    Thanks for the help guys.
    I ended up buying one from Wiggle as they were an ok price and definitely come with the bleed kit (CRC, bike-discount.de etc. dont seem to).
    I also got the 380 instead of 420 for my medium Trance frame as although I run my seat high, the Trance has the pivot point going through the frame. Im only 5'10 anyway.
    Kowalski, do you have a Daytona 675? I did some spannering on a British Supersport race team in 2008 on Daytona 675's. Sounded lovely with a straight through Arrow system.
  • Kowalski675
    I have a Street Triple R (basically an unfaired Daytona 675), with the 3 into 1 Arrow lowboy race full system, and it does indeed sound beautiful - such a distinctive engine note, with it being a triple, it really growls when you cane it and the gorgeous bark when you blip the throttle on downshifts has you changing down just to hear it.

This one's mine, really great bike to ride - not the fastest bike out there in a straight line, but a real weapon on the twisty roads I prefer, and a properly fun hooligan bike:

DSC_8449_zps6079d347.jpg

I was at Oulton BSB in 2008, so I must've seen the bikes you were spannering (might even have passed you in the paddock, lol). Can you remember what numbers the bikes were? This is a pic I took of one of the Triumphs in the supersport race:

DSC_4007copysharpened_zps57ce3a66.jpg
  • rapid_donkey
    Thats a gorgous looking bike. I was spannering for number 44, Alistair Fagan and JHS racing. I only did the weekends I could fit around my full time job though.
    Ive never had a Triumph myself, I fancied a 675 but got a CBR600RR instead as I used to do more than average miles, and at the time Triumph engines were known to pop.
  • Kowalski675
    Thats a gorgous looking bike. I was spannering for number 44, Alistair Fagan and JHS racing. I only did the weekends I could fit around my full time job though.
    Ive never had a Triumph myself, I fancied a 675 but got a CBR600RR instead as I used to do more than average miles, and at the time Triumph engines were known to pop.

Cheers, I've done a lot to it, so I think it's way sexier than a standard one, even if I am biased, lol. Faired sportsbikes don't make sense to me as road bikes anymore (I don't fancy prison food), I bought the Street R 'cos I was pretty disillusioned with biking, but didn't know if I was bored with bikes full stop, or just my bike, and everything I'd read said that the Street R was about the most fun bike you could buy at any price, and I knew that on my kind of roads it would be the ideal weapon, and run rings round most race reps. I figured that if that didn't relight my fire and make me enjoy riding again then nothing would. I could've had a 1050 Speed Triple for the same money, but figured that the 675 would be more fun and faster on my kind of roads. The earlier Daytonas did suffer a number of blow ups (including Bike magazines long term test bike), but I've not heard of a Street exploding. They redesigned the sump and later bikes like mine run 500ml more oil (they changed the dipstick length). The Street revs a little lower than the Daytona, but doesn't have the Daytona's forged pistons.

I have a '97 T509 Speed Triple too, but that ate its gearbox a month (1700 miles) after I'd finished building it, so I fell out with it and it's been sat in the garage for years now. I got as far as taking the engine out, but it's been sat there ever since waiting for a gearbox rebuild.

I'll have a look and see if I've got a pic of number 44.
  • rapid_donkey
    So, the reverb arrived on wednesday from wiggle. Paid 237.49 for it.

I fitted it and shortened the hose, was an easy job and fits and operates perfectly.

Just been out for my second ride on it tonight, done about 40 miles on it. Both rides have been on red routes with some jumps and fast rocky sections and berms.

In the places where I thought I would use it, I just dont really. Seems like more hassle to drop it than just stand up like with a fixed post.
    Did anyone take a while to bond with theirs?

Already thinking of sticking it in the classifieds. 2 days and 2 rides old, unused bleed kit, perfect condition, 30.9x380, 125 drop, r/h mmx control.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    How much were you thinking of selling for lol?
  • rapid_donkey
    £210 delivered. That includes an unused bleed kit. I am removing it from the bike as we speak in the garden ha. Not a mark on it. Can post first thing in the morning, even in the original wiggle box!
  • bennett_346
    Out of curiouscity, what has made you decide you don't like it?
  • rapid_donkey
    Its in classifieds now.
    To be honest, last weekend I tried an Orange 5 with one fitted, and it seemed to make complete sense as I ride in the Peaks a bit, lots of trails etc.
    I just find Im not using it. By the time I get to gnarly stuff, I have to slow down to get the seat down instead of just barrel down. Also, with my fixed seatpost, I would clamp the seat between my legs and lean over the back which felt good.
    Going to sell it and replace the naff elixir 3's i have instead.
    Reverb was a bit of a whim purchase.
  • bennett_346
    Fair enough. I'm not sure i could justify one myself tbh, most of the riding i do i have a chance to stop at the top of the trail anyway.
  • rapid_donkey
    Fair enough mate. If you change your mind its in classifieds. I can email pictures of it, do a b.i.n. through ebay if you would prefer it for the buyer protection (I have 100% positive feedback).
  • bigpee
    bigpee Posts: 205
    Just for peoples info just got my reverb from discount bikes in Germany. Took three days, cost £200 including p & p and was the full retail version including bleed kit. By contrast Evans who I had been getting it through price matched hadn't got it to me after a month!
    Current bikes:
    Norco Sight 3 SE (on order)
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Commencal META 55 custom build (Stolen :( )
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
    GT Avalance 1.0 2006(ish)
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    I've just bought a Stealth Reverb from Merlin for £200. Comes with the bleed kit etc. They have been that price for some time. Seems cheaper than Germany ?
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    On one are doing them for 170 atm. Have been for a week or so.