Cheapest Carbon Full Sus Bike

celf-fella
celf-fella Posts: 28
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Following a weekend in Fort Bill riding and watching the DH, i got the chance to ride a mates Carbon Stumpjumper 29er.
I could not believe the difference between that, and my own Trek 3500 disc.
Now i am aware that they are totally different bikes, and the cost difference is vast, but.....its got me wanting a full sus carbon bike.
Now i cannot justify paying the wad that my mate shelled out for his, nor will i be able to do his bike justice with ability, so I wondered what was the cheapest full sus carbon framed bike on the market, and could it be recommended.
Any ideas anyone??

Comments

• sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    To be brutally honest, most of the best alloy full sus bikes are over £2000 and carbon may not actually be worth it. However, the entry level carbon stumpy is £3000.
    Also, as there are so many different forms of mountain bikes, I would recommend working out what it is you intend to do on it and then buy a bike for that purpose. Carbon should not be on your list as a priority unless you are certain you want to spend over £3000.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    On-one Titus Rockstar - £2,499 (XT spec) the Carbon frames come in at around £800 from on-one so you could do a build for less than that!
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBTIRSC29XT ... ntain_bike
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    There are loads of reasons why you enjoyed riding that bike more than yours, it's really not about it being carbon framed.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    Well indeed, a bit like comparing a Guillardo to a Mini Cooper, there are lots of things better than the Mini Cooper without going as far as the Lambo!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    There are loads of reasons why you enjoyed riding that bike more than yours, it's really not about it being carbon framed.

+1

You can get a Carbon Titus X from On-One for £600 but it's a out and out XC bike and gonna be nothing like the Stumpy!

You're looking at it from the wrong angle :wink: - If you liked the Stumpy so much and you're on a bugget look for a used alu Stumpy or find a different frame with a similar geo to the Stumpy that you rode.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    As your coming from a bike without even a damper on the forks, I'd suggest a hardtail with decent damped forks would be a revelation, let alone an FS or even a carbon framed one (saving about 250-400g in weight bbeing the only real advantage).