Bleed kit for Avid Juicy 3 a necessity?

russboy
russboy Posts: 436
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Not used my MTB for 2 months as been using a road bike for my daily commute.

Setting my MTB back to be a true MTB rather than a hybrid & noticed 1 piston seized on the front & same on the back. In the end I've had to split the calipers to force the pistons back, so now I have to bleed the system.

To be fair I've covered 5000 miles in 3yrs so about time!

So do you have to buy a bleed kit? I see they're only about £13 on eBay if I do need to get one.

Russ

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so how are you going to bleed it with out one?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • russboy
    nicklouse wrote:
    so how are you going to bleed it with out one?

Not the most constructive of answers but hence my question & on the basis of your reply to is it a necessity, the answer appears to be "yes".

Let me re phrase, do you have to have a bleed kit to bleed the brakes? But I suppose that's rhetorical now.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Watch a video and see if you can figure a way to do it without a bleed kit......you won't.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    You can bodge a kit together but its a ball ache to find the adaptors and by the time you have pished about with clamps and syringes and got Dot 5.1 all over your hands you will wish you had bought the kit. Epic bleed solutions do a decent kit.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    If the master cylinder (lever) has a reservoir cap with a rubber bladder underneath it, then it can be bled without using a kit.

Clamp lever level, remove cap, fill up the reservoir, pump the lever several times to build up internal pressure, hold the lever blade to the handlebar and then open the bleed screw. The built up pressure will expel liquid along with air bubbles. Close the bleed screw before letting go of the lever blade. Then repeat until the lever feels firm and no more bubbles rise into the reservoir or can be seen exiting the caliper. This is the gravity method (aka Hope method, aka early Shimano method).

Obviously, the Juicy caliper does not have a hose attachment nipple (unless you improvise one - add a ball valve connected to a small length of hose to make things easier) so the bleed procedure will be messy and requires a small amount of guess work.

Therefore, pads will need to be removed prior to bleeding.

There are a few other refinements to include but that is the basic method.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just ignore this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Please.
    And get the right bleed kit. As Stubs says, Epic are good.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    cooldad wrote:
    Just ignore this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Please.
    And get the right bleed kit. As Stubs says, Epic are good.

I should quote this just in case it gets edited. :wink:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    +1 on ignoring the crazy advice
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    bikaholic wrote:
    If the master cylinder (lever) has a reservoir cap with a rubber bladder underneath it, then it can be bled without using a kit.

Clamp lever level, remove cap, fill up the reservoir, pump the lever several times to build up internal pressure, hold the lever blade to the handlebar and then open the bleed screw. The built up pressure will expel liquid along with air bubbles. Close the bleed screw before letting go of the lever blade. Then repeat until the lever feels firm and no more bubbles rise into the reservoir or can be seen exiting the caliper. This is the gravity method (aka Hope method, aka early Shimano method).

Obviously, the Juicy caliper does not have a hose attachment nipple (unless you improvise one - add a ball valve connected to a small length of hose to make things easier) so the bleed procedure will be messy and requires a small amount of guess work.

Therefore, pads will need to be removed prior to bleeding.

There are a few other refinements to include but that is the basic method.

Please dont do this at home children. Buy the kit and do it properly the above could go horribly wrong.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • robertzee
    robertzee Posts: 21
    Where are you based. I have one I no longer need if you are local?
    You may be too old to rock but never too old to roll.
  • russboy
    I'm in Epsom, Surrey, yourself?

Def going to get one, seems a no brainer really.