Litter on the rhigos and bwlch

fatboy gonna get slim
edited June 2013 in Road general
After last weeks dragon ride I have been up the rhigos and bwlch today it was howling and tipping down ,what did rub me up the wrong way was the amount of gel wrappers and various other wrappers and I am not talking just one or two .why can people just put them in there jersey??

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Its a common theme on some of the posts - its the height of bad manners - costs nothing to roll up the wrapper and stick it in your pocket or up th eleg of your shorts. Its only sugary water in effect, its hardly likely to ruin your jersey.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I dont blame you for getting annoyed....complaint to the local council who in turn should take it on to the sportive organiser? Perhaps this is already in motion?
    If it had been a road race with littering and such like, complaints would be flippin well non stop and any future racing severely in doubt.
  • I don't want to complain to the council , I just want cyclist the people who the event is for to stop littering .the event is put on for you, we are not liked by the average joe driver if they see us littering its another thing to complain to the local police/authorities about .
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,903
    it's just selfishness and ego on the part of those doing it

i was in lanzarote in may, the ironman was on halfway through my stay, it was sad to see the effect on the national park and other roads on the route, an endless trail of gel wrappers, discarded energy bars, bottles and other stuff

i'm sure most used the litter drop zones, but there must've been a lot who felt they had some special right to litter the landscape
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    Good effort going up there today, I bet it was a bit bleak.
    Every time I've been up there (throughout the year) there have been gel wrappers etc; bloody annoying. There's no need.

Oddly I've seen lots of empty cans of cheap redbull too, surely it's not cyclists doing this?
  • Yeah a lot of other rubbish bleak wasn't the word first time over rhigos and bwlch with the wind in my face and then rained up the bwlch and most of the way home . I have never been riding down a decent and must of lost about half my speed in the winds.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Council should charge the organisers to clean-up road...it's not like they weren't making any money.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • hangeron
    hangeron Posts: 127
    yeah...bloody good effort going that way today mun.

Theres usually plenty of KFC and maccy D wrappers on those hills 1st thing on a sunday morning mind, and I doubt its cyclists are responsible for them.

It does grate when its cyclists who are responsible though....nip round the trails at Afan and Glyncorrwg on a tuesday after a bank holiday weekend....the gel wrappers scattered throughout the woods is utterly depressing.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I don't see this as a cycling problem it's just the individuals IMO. I can't abide littering and anyone that thinks its acceptable to dump bags of waste, carpets, contents of a shed, a mattress or whatever by the roadside is just an idiot. I mean come on, go to the tip FFS! As for cyclists, agree with the above, keep the wrappers in your jersey. I've put a gel back in my pocket a few times that has then ran into my pockets and made a mess, big deal.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I will confront those I see littering... Probably brands me as a miserable git but ...

My 16 year old does this and it infuriates me
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    After last weeks dragon ride I have been up the rhigos and bwlch today it was howling and tipping down ,what did rub me up the wrong way was the amount of gel wrappers and various other wrappers and I am not talking just one or two .why can people just put them in there jersey??

Did you see the number of choppers on the Dragon Ride?
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • No I was not on the ride .
  • Grill
    Rhetorical question ;)
  • Confused Now ,Choppers or do you mean coppers as in the law ?
  • Or chopper bikes ?
  • Grill
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Chopper&defid=5924366 Number 6 is about right. :D

Seriously though a 'chipper' is a low level race and a chopper is one who strives to rise through the ranks (committing many faux pas along the way) but isn't good enough. It's actually evolved to be quite close to the urban dictionary definition though.

You riding with Ajax tomorrow?
  • No6 sounds spot on ! No , I don't really ride with any clubs but I keep telling myself to go for that mid week ride from main dee .my fitness and weight have improved ,but nothing on your scale .
  • surfbodi
    surfbodi Posts: 23
    I did the dragon gran fondo last week. I must have gone through 20 gels over those 130 miles but every wrapper got stuffed in my back pocket even if it was a bit of a sticky mess. I live in the Rhondda valley and littering is a massive problem. It drives me absolutely mental and Ive gotten into a few confrontations recently over it. We live in a stunning country but sadly I feel that these morons, be it cyclists or otherwise will always be there to screw it up for others. It was a great event though. I wouldnt fancy doing it in todays weather mind :lol:
  • Grill
    No6 sounds spot on ! No , I don't really ride with any clubs but I keep telling myself to go for that mid week ride from main dee .my fitness and weight have improved ,but nothing on your scale .

There are loads of groups so I have no doubt that you'll find others with similar abilities to ride with.

@Surfbodi- I love riding through the Valleys. Nice to see others who don't mind taking a few seconds to keep it beautiful :)
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    <ironic>
    The pros on the Tour de France just drop their rubbish and sling their bottles at the side of the road, so the riders in the big, important race that is the Dragon can surely do the same
    </ironic>