New stem?

desmorrow
desmorrow Posts: 115
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
Just back from a spin on my hardtail - sunn prim s2. Have been out on my boardman FS a lot recently and found the handling on the hardtail terrible today. I think it might be due to the stem on the hardtail being 100 mm - seems to sit out well over the front wheel. The FS has a 80 mm stem, so thinking of getting something at 70-80 mm. Just coming out of even small jumps was very hard today, they handlebars just seemed to have a mind of their own when in the air whereas the FS hardly takes any effort to maintain control.

Does this make sense or would the stem not make much difference? The other main difference is the handlebars are 680 on the FS and 660 I think on the hardtail.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Swap the stem and see.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • desmorrow
    desmorrow Posts: 115
    Cheers cool. Tried that and it made a decent difference. Never bought a stem before - don't care too much about weight so would this be okay?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=69252

80 mm in black would do, although maybe I thought go even shorter? 65 is blue though and the bike is black/red....
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It will do the job and isn't too expensive. I wouldn't go too short - if 80mm feels ok go with it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    On-one or Superstar do decent lightweight XC stems for similar money.

With CD stick at 80mm...
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Going from 110mm to 90mm on mine made a really noticeable difference, more than you might expect for such a relatively small change.