10 miles, what time to begin with?

2»

Comments

• Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    you'd do well to join a club or at least touch base. Don't think that or let anyone suggest you'd be anything other than welcome or capable.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    Is riding to work a couple of days a week an option? I've been limited to 7 miles each way commuting for a while now with the odd 30 miler ride thrown in. Still able to knock out a 100 miler so once you have a good base and your muscles know they can do it. You'll get there faster than you think. Don't forget to enjoy your riding and don't get hung up on average speed. It's all about time in the saddle.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Rob85_ wrote:
    How very sarcastic, unfortunately I don't have a father sponsoring a team nor am I anywhere near quick enough.

I see the smiley on my post passed you by!.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    arenaman wrote:
    8-9 weeks in and I've just done 29:50 for a 10 miler, it looked like rain so I thought what the hell. Onwards and upwards :D

Still haven't gone over 25 miles yet though :wink:

Have you considered riding track? :lol:
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    arenaman wrote:
    I'm 41, 6 foot .

Bloody hell,your tall. :mrgreen:
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • Any comparisons to others are completely meaningless unless they are doing the same course on the same type of bike at the same time. You should be aiming to go faster each time, that's all.
  • Please keep informing us of every incremental increase in distance travelled. It's gripping stuff.
  • arenaman wrote:
    Please keep informing us of every incremental increase in distance travelled. It's gripping stuff.

Keep off this thread if you're going to be a dick :roll:

Let me think about that.

Thought about it. Think I'll stick around.
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    How flat is your course? 30 miles at an average of 17.5mph is good going after time on bike.

You must feel pretty pleased about your progress but the next step up in distance 50 miles and beyond will be interesting - that's of course if you do want to increase the mileage - as you'll probably take in more climbing as well.

Good luck and ignore the idiots. Suggest a Sportive at some point. Open to all and only poseurs and snobs care whether you've got flat bars or drops. You'll find you'll go even faster in a group and you'll be able to measure yourself.
    Someone's just passed me again
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    arenaman wrote:
    buzzwold wrote:
    How flat is your course? 30 miles at an average of 17.5mph is good going after time on bike.

You must feel pretty pleased about your progress but the next step up in distance 50 miles and beyond will be interesting - that's of course if you do want to increase the mileage - as you'll probably take in more climbing as well.

Good luck and ignore the idiots. Suggest a Sportive at some point. Open to all and only poseurs and snobs care whether you've got flat bars or drops. You'll find you'll go even faster in a group and you'll be able to measure yourself.

Thanks, the course has a few ups and downs but all in all it's fairly flat. I am pleased with how it's going though some people seem to think I shouldn't be posting a few updates for some reason. I said that 30 miles was my limit because of time constraints, I'm not sure now, see how it goes. I totally understand that to improve significantly I need to go longer, I only really took up cycling as a new way to keep up my fitness though it's become addictive now.

Agree about the addiction. Only at end of 2nd year and time off the bike gets me twitchy. The need for more will grab hold. I managed to find time to spend a weekend at May's London Revolution - 180 advertised (194 actual) miles over 2 days, rubbish time but thoroughly enjoyed the sense of accomplishment.
    Someone's just passed me again
  • iamcami
    iamcami Posts: 93
    wow, so much condescending snobbery in this thread... not everyone, just enough to put another beginner like me off. I'm in a similiar situation to the OP. longest ride i've done is 15 miles. takes me about 1hr. that includes traffic lights etc of course.

I will also increase gradually like the OP but you guys don't seem to realise how daunting 100 miles seems. and time consuming. i wouldn't want to spend my whole day cycling. just a couple hrs max. so yea I can relate to the OP and good luck mate, keep ur own pace. ;)
  • themekon
    themekon Posts: 197
    Do not get bogged down in the long distance trap. You can get very fit on 30 mile rides.Not everyone has the time,inclination to spend hours at a time on a bike.Very nice if that is what you want to do but you are no less a cyclist for wanting to get home after a couple of hours.
    The running world has the same problem,always banging about doing a marathon.
    Just enjoy your rides and go with whatever you are happy with.