Worth upgrading cheap forks?

jamieshannon
jamieshannon Posts: 7
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
I currently own a commuter that I intend to start using on trails. Will be riding mostly tree roots / small bumps etc.
The bike in itself is half decent, but the forks just feel like they have virtually no travel.
Was wondering if it was worth upgrading from ;

Suntour V4 Alloy Crown forks.

To :: Marzocchi TXC 1 Trekking
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=96103

or :: Rock Shox XC 28 TK [Considering the XC 30]
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=85071

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    In all honesty probably not, put the forks money towards a proper mtb as most hybrids have geometry more suited to roads.

Spending money on it will likely turn into a never ending money pit.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What frame?
    What Suntour V4 (XCM presumably?)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • In all honesty probably not, put the forks money towards a proper mtb as most hybrids have geometry more suited to roads. .

The bike is a "proper" mtb. Unfortunatly i Dont have the luxury of saving for a bike since Itll take Atleast a year+ for a decent upgrade. Was just looking for a fork upgrade since Im moving to trails.

what i Shouldve really said is; Would there be a noticible difference between the stock forks and a fairly cheap set such as those linked?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    What bike is it?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    We need to know what the bike is, and what model of fork. XCM V4? XCT V4? XCC V4?
  • supersonic wrote:
    We need to know what the bike is, and what model of fork. XCM V4? XCT V4? XCC V4?

Didnt realise. on my mobile.
    The bike is a "cross sultan" from argos.
    sorry cant provide link as on my mobile.
    Have no idea what x series.it is but considering the type of bike it is Im assuming its the ceapeat ones :p
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    18kg fully assembled. Jeez Louise, never mind the forks, think about buying something a little lighter (honestly didn't believe that the cheapest frames and components would put a mountain bike over 15kg these days).
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It won't be that much, Argos are often miles out on actual weights.

The fork is a XCT V4, which is a horrific lump of turd, to be frank. Changing it will make a massive difference.

The RockShox XC30 would be my choice, is £80 at OnOne.
  • supersonic wrote:
    It won't be that much, Argos are often miles out on actual weights.

The fork is a XCT V4, which is a horrific lump of turd, to be frank. Changing it will make a massive difference.

The RockShox XC30 would be my choice, is £80 at OnOne.
    thank you. sorry it took so long to provide the correct info
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Ouija wrote:
    18kg fully assembled. Jeez Louise, never mind the forks, think about buying something a little lighter (honestly didn't believe that the cheapest frames and components would put a mountain bike over 15kg these days).

Holy crap, 18kg? Harley Davidson make lighter bikes than that :shock:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Argos seem to use boxed weights....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.