French Massif Central classic climbs

davidof
davidof Posts: 3,042
edited June 2013 in Tour & expedition
Anyone got any good plans for classic Massif Central climbs not too far from Clermont Ferrand. I'm thinking of the Beal and the Pas de peyrol but what are the best circuits for taking these in on separate days? Anything else to consider? I'll be on a road bike, no luggage.
BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
Instagramme

Comments

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I rode the Pas de Peyrol from the west (Salers) side, which is both the hardest and, landscape-wise, supposedly the best side. The steepest bit is about 15%, round 2-2.5 km from the top.

I’d avoid the pass on weekends and holidays because it’s popular with tourists (there’s a restaurant at the top where they stop) and, if little has changed, the roads around there are fairly narrow in parts, I think especially near Dienne. And by tourists I don’t just mean cars – when I was going up the Salers side coaches were coming down, and finding the serpentine (I think there is only one sharp one on that side) difficult to manoeuvre around.

Also check it’s snow-free. Occasionally there’s snow still there in June and what with the cold Spring Europe has had, it may not be only some Alpine passes which aren’t yet open.

I can’t help you with a circuit from Clermont-Ferrand, because when I did the Peyrol, I was staying at Spontour, about 20-25 km west of Mauriac. After the pass I headed towards Aurillac, but before there turned to St. Martin, went through it and back to Spontour.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    The classic Tour de France climb around there is obviously the Puy de Dome, but I think you're not allowed to go up by bike anymore?

I've done the Col de la Croix Morand and Col Croix st Robert around there years ago - pleasant, scenic climbs, not too hard, but don't think they qualify as 'classic'
  • davidof
    FJS wrote:
    The classic Tour de France climb around there is obviously the Puy de Dome, but I think you're not allowed to go up by bike anymore?

I think the last 5km of the Puy is closed now.

Thanks for the information guys. I'm going to check out my map. Very hot at the moment, 36C today :shock: but cooling down from Wednesday which is when I'll be in the area.
    Instagramme
  • davidof
    A quick update. I rode the Beal, there are three possibilities to the col plus you can ride on a close military road to the summit of the Chalmazel ski resort. It was pretty cold but sunny when I rode. All three climbs are really good, the area looks a bit like Scotland, without the midges! I thoroughly commend this col to anyone in the area (Monts dU Forez area). I will try to post a bit more detail when I'm back home in a few days.
    Instagramme