Anyone start cycling to get fit for another sport and ......

richardacdc
richardacdc Posts: 15
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Anyone else start cycling to keep/ get fit for another sport and end up getting hooked and cycling to get better at cycling?..

If not, just me!

Comments

• Keith47
    Keith47 Posts: 158
    Yup, started cycling after getting bored out of my mind using exercise bike at the gym trying to cut up for a bodybuilding contest and realised how enjoyable riding was!
    Been riding ever since, still love it, don't do much weight training now so it's my only way of staying in shape :D
    The problem is we are not eating food anymore, we are eating food-like products.
  • TheCoo'sTail
    TheCoo'sTail Posts: 113
    Yip. Started cycling again to improve fitness for hillwalking/climbing. Now ditched both almost entirely for the bike!
    At the erse end o' a coo!
  • steve6690
    steve6690 Posts: 190
    Sort of. I have to do a bleep test every year for work. I get knee and ankle problems if I do any decent amount of running so this year I'm trying cycling to get fit.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    YEP started riding for fitness and healthe benefits after 35 years of fags and got hooked.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Totem
    Totem Posts: 25
    Mostly just to get fit, was getting bored of jogging (I won’t call what I do running). Got a road bike on the way as the mtb is a bit heavy; can go further and faster on the bike so its more enjoyable.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Yep!! Two years ago an overweight, very unfit Schoie81 signed up to do a 10km run for charity. Whilst training for that, someone told me i should mix my running with some other form of exercise, so I bought a bike. Didn't use it that much to start with, but when I did the 10km run, I quite badly damaged my ankle and my foot. On the road to recovering from that I could get back on the bike quite a bit before I was up to running on my foot and so got some miles in and now I consider myself to be a cyclist who does a bit of running! I haven't been out for a run since March!!
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Got back into cycling(MTB's) to get fit and lose a cople of stone and I am local to Thetford forest so seemed stupid to not go and cycling around there, wife suggested racing so I started that and got a road bike to get fitter for the racing, I didn't think I would enjoy the road side at all but I'm getting into and will start to commute to work as well now on the bike.
  • socistep
    socistep Posts: 88
    kind of...before cycling I was 95% football and the odd walk and very rare run (which I've never massively enjoyed), I changed jobs a year ago today and lost 2 lunchtime 5 a side games but moved to a company very well geared up for cycling and closer then previous job so initially thought I'd cycle a couple of times a week to replace the football but within a few days that ended up being 5 days a week in all weathers, moved from hybrid to road bike in Jan and its stepped up a lot, surprised by how hooked i've become, didn't expect it at all!
  • fishyweb
    fishyweb Posts: 173
    Think I fit into this category. I do a fair bit of running but am injury prone, so got a bike to stay fit while unable to run (non-impact, right?). Carried on cycling at least once a week even when not injured, and am now cycling more than running! I love both, so it's not a foregone conclusion that running will continue to take a back seat, though.
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/287459
    Member of http://www.UKnetrunner.co.UK - the greatest online affiliated running club
  • wod1
    wod1 Posts: 61
    I cycled to work, initally on a mountain bike plus some weekend rides when not in the yacht racing season. Moved house a bit further from work so bought a road bike and now very into cycling, cycling moved on to Triathlons and this years Yacht racing hasnt happend yet as all free time (not much with a 2 year old to look after) has been running/swimming and cycling.