Changing chain set

koor
koor Posts: 7
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
hi All

İf i was to change from 170mm - 53.39t to a compact 170mm - 50.34t, what else would i need to change ?

Regards

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Possibly your chain length.
    Front "D" will have to be readjusted(lowered).
    If you're buying the same brand(i.e. Shimano out board bearing to Shimano out board bearing) then the bottom bracket should be OK. Key word "should".
    Other than that you should be good to go.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    If your front DR is band on it is simple, less so if it is braze on.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    If it's braze on you may need something like this to get the derailleur at the correct height for the compact chainset....

nqf3.jpg
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • koor
    arran77,dennisn & smidsy

Thanks for the replies and information. i thought i might need to change the rear mech.
  • arran77
    Shouldn't need to do that I don't think, gears will probably need adjusting generally which is relatively straight forward, have a read of this...

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/workshop-shifting-problems-20350/
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    arran77 wrote:
    If it's braze on you may need something like this to get the derailleur at the correct height for the compact chainset....

nqf3.jpg

I actually meant if the frame he has is braze on. If this is the case the frame has the fixing point already, but it will be in the wrong place.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • arran77
    smidsy wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

nqf3.jpg

I actually meant if the frame he has is braze on. If this is the case the frame has the fixing point already, but it will be in the wrong place.

Is that not the idea of the slot so that you can adjust the mech up or down?

I was only thinking if the fixing point already there was in the wrong place like you say there might be a need for this to get it to the correct height.

:)

seanoconn
  • koor
    hi

it is braze on, thanks arran77 for the info i didn't even know that band on (braze thingy ) existed ;)
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    koor wrote:
    hi All

İf i was to change from 170mm - 53.39t to a compact 170mm - 50.34t, what else would i need to change ?

Regards

Your cadence?
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I did that exact change recently and I just moved the front mech down a bit. I put a new chain on at the same time so I don't know if it needed a different length but it may just need a couple of links taking out.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Arran77 is correct. The only cases I've ever com across where the stock braze-on mounting pointing I lacking in adjustability is with Osymmetrics and QXL rings and even then it's that the front mech can't be moved high enough.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    There's often two attachment points for the bolt that goes through the braze on point on the mech itself to allow for additional adjustment to lower the mech for a compact. SRAM do at least on the Red derailleur anyway