mattyg2004 Posts: 196
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hiya Folks

I've just upgraded my Spark 30 from 9 speed to 10 speed using
SLX 10 speed Shifter
XT Cassette CS-M771 11-36
XT rear derailleur RD-M786
KMC X10 chain

Setting up the RD(chain issues) is causing me a few headaches.

I did the big-big and add 2 links but it's as if its still too big. Pic below

This is Big-big
Ignore the cable I haven't trimmed it yet and just shoved it out the way

9038486331_1258a3f13e_b.jpg

And small-small with loads of chain slack

9038484745_e32917fdb6_b.jpg

Any Ideas.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Big Big and one full link so 1" (one inner and one outer) no mech.
    chain looks long.
    what is the big rig tooth count?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mattyg2004
    nicklouse wrote:
    Big Big and one full link so 1" (one inner and one outer) no mech.
    chain looks long.
    what is the big rig tooth count?

Chain rings:
    44/32/22 Teeth

I've just never noticed the angle of the RD when on the big ring before. or that of anyone else's.

Maybe I didn't quite take enough off it 1st time.
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    Is it actually feasible to get a chain length that's OK when running an 11-36 with a triple ?

Rather than trying to apply a rule that's supposed to fit all bikes, maybe you need to concentrate on getting it the right length for the gears you're most likely to use.

This is one of those issues that becomes less apparent with a double up front - where in many cases you just need to get the RD tensioned right when in big/big such that when in little/little (which you'd never use) the chain isn't flapping about - but I'm just not sure you can manage this with your setup.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I used to have the same chain ring and cassette sizes with an XT mech and had no problems with chain length.

When you do the 'big/big + 2 links' are you running the chain through the mech?

You will never use 44/36 or 22/11 anyway so I wouldn't worry too much.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Are you sure the mech is screwed on correctly?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The capacity of the rear mech is 43. Your need 47. So it will go slack in that gear. Just don't use it, is no need.
  • mattyg2004
    Are you sure the mech is screwed on correctly?

Bingo

I'm Stoopid.

There is a lug on the thingy that bolts to the hanger..Yep I had it the wrong side of that lug. Realized after removing another 2 links. ok so now no real slack but it may be too tight big-big. there is still around an inch or so extra play in the RD. Issue or not
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not an issue if you don't use those gears. But as I said previously, your mech cannot handle all of the range.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Go longer. Having a slack chain due to selecting the wrong gear by accident is better than ripping the mech off or twisting it up.
  • mattyg2004
    Cheers guys

I've added a couple of links back into the chain and all seems good now. It'll cycle through all the cassette. Just need to set up the FD now and do some fine tuning.

You tube is great for showing you how stupid you are and how easy it is to do it right