declan1 Posts: 2,470
    It's Chromium and Molybdenum.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    One step-up from gas-pipe too
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Rated in kg/m, like steel beams.

Even the beard and sandals brigade don't touch it.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Perfectly respectable depending on the form of it eg Reynolds 501 is made of it - double butted too. A step down from 531 but certainly not the abomination the above are implying. You can get some lovely 501 frames and you'd probably struggle to tell the difference.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Rated in kg/m, like steel beams.

or indeed like any other steel product...
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Thread highjack but is "Dedacciai SAT 14.5 triple-butted steel" considered good?!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It's not just the material, but what they do to it to turn it into a bike frame. Someone mentioned Reynolds 501 - but the vast majority of 501 frames are only the three main frame tubes - the rest still being cheapo hi-tensile which is heavy and dead-feeling. If the tubes are butted and heat-treated, then you're benefitting from thinner' lighter tubes make from stronger materials which should give a livelier ride. I've ridden steel-frame bikes that can either be dead and 'heavy' or light and responsive - a lot depends on the weight of the rider too. At 60kg, I find old, skinny Columbus SL frames give a nice ride whereas a 90kg rider would find them too whippy.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..