understanding OS Explorer maps?

taffygriffiths
taffygriffiths Posts: 186
edited June 2013 in MTB general
Right guys...

This is one for those who understand maps and their keys! lol

While i was out today, i bought some OS Explorer maps of my local area (the 1:25,000 maps)

The idea is to get some more ideas of the paths, trails, and cycleways around me.

now.... im getting a bit lost by the distinction between footpaths (short green dashes) and bridleways (longer green dashes)...

my assumptions are, that bridleways should be a bit more structured, and wider to cater for horses and bikes... etc.. and footpaths can include some wholy unstructured 'walk accross this field' or 'down the side of a cliff'' kind of paths... with styes and other obstructions.

but... i know some of the routes that i have ridden within forests and such, and they are showing as 'footpaths'

so.. basically, what im asking is!.... what is classed as a footpath? and how do i know if its rideable? is there even a way to tell? lol

should i assume, thats its not really possible to tell, and such a 'try it and see' attitide is required?

anybody wise on these matters? help? lol

thanks!

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    You shouldn't ride on footpaths, basically.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    The lines mark old and new rights of way (but they re not always legally correct). The presence of a line on the map does not guarantee the presence of a line on the ground.

Footpaths are for feet only, Bridlepaths are for feet, horses and bikes and then it starts to get complicated...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • that was my assumption really..

i guessed footpaths were essentially for people on said 'foots'

just confused as some of the stuff ive ridden is marked as a footpath, albeit, they were wide and well groomed, and are known in the area, and well ridden.

hey ho!... i guess i will try to avoid footpaths in my explorations unless i know them.

deffinately have a much better idea of what paths are about mind! didnt know there was so many!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    It may be tiresome and unhelpful but I just can't help pointing out the rules in Scotland:
    1. If it's marked as a path you can ride on it
    2. If it's not a path you can almost certainly ride on it

Sorry. :twisted:
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Some bridleways are little more than footpaths, some are wide and cleared - very much depends on the level of use they get, the landowner and the council's efficiency at ensuring the paths are maintained.

A given path should be maintained by the landowner to ensure they are useable by the public - I cant recall the exact dimensions and requirements but basically a landowner is supposed to cut back nettles and brambles, clear fallen trees, not put fences across them or minefields and not leave dangerous animals ina field with a path across it. The local council has an officer who can enforce (theoretically) the landowners duties to do this. Each councils officer has a tricky job as they dont have the ability to inspect every path so they rely on the landowners and public reports.

Landowners vary massively in their desire to maintain public rights of way - some small holding farmers view it as either a duty or a burden as do some large holding farmers particularly when the path crosses their fields and interupts planting crops. Some large estates view it as part of the stewardship of the land which is great but often means they make their bridleways up to benefit horses which ruins them for us!

I know the network of trails in the chilterns pretty well from years riding them and can string together a decent, often single often double track loop together pretty well due to the huge number of bridleways on offer - I know in some areas (cornwall for example) the maps are littered with footpaths but few bridleways - in these areas you have to become a little more devil may care with the rules I think!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    mcnultycop wrote:

yes you are correct 100%. however. knowing (I think) where the OP is looking at riding and also all around south wales, riding on footpaths in the hills isn't really that frowned upon. common courtesy goes a long way :D
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    welshkev wrote:
    mcnultycop wrote:

yes you are correct 100%. however. knowing (I think) where the OP is looking at riding and also all around south wales, riding on footpaths in the hills isn't really that frowned upon. common courtesy goes a long way :D

This.

I ride on a mixture of footpaths and bridleways, just be a decent person and don't take the pee, say good morning to people etc. and they don't generally mind. Obviously you'll always come across some person whose life is so sad that they have to try to restrict the fun of others, just smile and nod while they tell you that you shouldn't be riding there, it winds them up even more.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    just confused as some of the stuff ive ridden is marked as a footpath, albeit, they were wide and well groomed, and are known in the area, and well ridden.

How wide and groomed a right of way is, has little to do with with its designation whether its a footpath or bridleway.

A footpath simply means can only be used by people walking. It can be wide or thin, smooth or rocky etc. and similar for bridleways. The landowner has a duty to keep the right of way usable and not dangerous but that's about it.

If you really want to stay strictly by the book, then only ride on bridleways but as the others above had said, usually if you show some common courtesy then things will be fine. Also remember just because the map shows there is a bridleway doesn't mean its actually ridable. Some can be very rough and technical requiring you to walk sections, but that's part of the adventure.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    The difference between a footpath and a bridleway is a legal distinction, it's not that closely related to the state of the track. Bridleways will generally have fewer cattle gates and stiles, but both can have steps (which horses don't mind). Steps can really surprise you when you're zipping along a path and hit four of them in quick succession
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I think it's the responsibility of the owner to either enforce or ignore cycling on footpaths. Unless the owner tells you you can't cycle, I'd continue, but dismount when walkers or dogs are near you. Ah, dogs, now thats a whole other problem.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • hangeron
    hangeron Posts: 127
    erm

A footpath means there is a definite legal right of way on foot.

but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is illegal to ride a bike (or a horse) there. Even if it is illegal, then the chances are it would be a civil matter (trespass) rather than a criminal matter.

A simple "yes bridleway/no footpath" is overly simplistic in England and Wales, and thats before you even begin to discuss why a defined right of way is a bridleway up to a parish boundary, then become a footpath in the next parish...as if all the horses suddenly dissappeared into thin air.

Basically though...you can't tell if a path is rideable by MTB just by looking at an OS Map

Hell if your from Cardiff you can't even tell if a road is rideable by bike by looking at a map....consider Forest Farm road by Cardiff HSOB RFC...its like the Somme.
  • ddraver
    hangeron wrote:

It doesnt mean it's definite (although in 99.99% of the times it is)
    - @ddraver
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    hangeron wrote:

Basically though...you can't tell if a path is rideable by MTB just by looking at an OS Map

Hell if your from Cardiff you can't even tell if a road is rideable by bike by looking at a map....consider Forest Farm road by Cardiff HSOB RFC...its like the Somme.

I used to commute that way to work and know exactly what you mean :lol:
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    ddraver wrote:
    hangeron wrote:

It doesnt mean it's definite (although in 99.99% of the times it is)
    It doesn't denote a right of way at all.
  • ddraver
    thats what I said
    - @ddraver
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's not legal or illegal, it just defines whether you are trespassing or not and therefor whether you can be sued for damages by using it or not.

Trespassers cannot be prosecuted for trespass of course.....it would be a civil claim!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • welshkev wrote:
    hangeron wrote:

I used to commute that way to work and know exactly what you mean :lol:

i like the analogy... that road is ridiculous!! the mrs has a right whinge about her bum on there! :lol: i have taken to using the muddy, slippery, narrow path between that road and the river now! i suppose it does improve your 'slalom' skills. :shock:

so... in essence.... after opening this can of wriggly worms... nothing is standard, and nothing can be guaranteed by the OS map...

i do try to be as courteous as i can, even on bridleways. especially with dogs!!

(why is it that the little dogs aim for your ankles, while the larger dogs, simply aim for your front wheel!?!?!?)

i guess what we have got to is that you just have to assume that most bridleways are rideable, but accept some that may not be (i have had to walk short distances on some), and assume that most footpaths are a wholly unknown quantity!..

The worst case scenario is having to turn round i suppose! lol. its all in the fun of exploration!

where do you stand regarding trespass, if you were to be pushing/carrying a bike along a footpath?
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    From the Ramblers website:
    Pedal cyclists have a right to use bridleways, restricted byways and byways open to all traffic, but on bridleways they must give way to walkers and riders. Like horse riders, they have no right to use footpaths and if they do so they are committing a trespass against the owner of the land, unless use is by permission. As with horse-riding, use of any right of way by cyclists can be controlled by traffic regulation orders and bye laws imposed by local authorities. Infringement of bye laws or traffic regulation orders is a criminal offence. Under the Highways Act 1835 it is an offence to ride a bicycle on the pavement at the side of a road, and under the Fixed Penalty Offences Order 1999 a person who rides on a pavement can be fined on the spot by a police officer.

There's other quite good right of way FAQs on the same page
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    That isn't the same thing as a "right of way" though.