Specialized Rockhopper Problem

rycarr18
rycarr18 Posts: 7
edited June 2013 in MTB general
I just brought a specialized rockhopper and came across a problem while riding. I was changing gears at the front and the chain somehow became caught between the chainrings and the frame. It seemed to be caught between the chainrings and bottom of the rear triangle, just behind the bottom bracket. The chain ended up going over the bottom of the rear triangle.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Should i take it back to the shop and complain?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    front mech lower stop not set correctly.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rycarr18
    It was setup by Totalfitness in bath so is this their fault. I became caught under the chainring btw, not above? i will try to upload some pictures.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or just adjust the mech. Parktools in Nick's sig above.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rycarr18
    If you see the third image the chain ende up like that except behind the chainrings.
    34goyeq.jpg
    eug8s9.jpg
    2rpznnc.jpg
    2lm2mac.jpg
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    rycarr18 wrote:
    It was setup by Totalfitness in bath.

Theres your problem. I wouldn't let their mechanic near my bikes. Don't buy a mountain bike from a road bike shop.
  • rycarr18
    Are you sure it was the setup? The chainrings generally do seem very close to the frame.
  • Brown sauce
    Brown sauce Posts: 111
    Wouldn't worry, were you putting strain on the pedals when changing. People normally call it chain suck. If you look at second hand frames or bikes on eBay. Loads will have marks there.
    2015 Stanton Switchback
    1993 Kona Lavadome
  • rycarr18
    Yea unfortunately I changed up rather than down when cycling uphill and then tried to change back down to 1st
  • Brown sauce
    Brown sauce Posts: 111
    Yep that's why it would have done it. I bought a hardrock last year and was going round in circles on a hill waiting for my girlfriend and was messing around. The same thing happened and mine looked a lot worse than yours. Sucks when it's a new bike but after that I thought oh well. The first scratch is always the worse then the others don't matter as much.

So don't worry. Just enjoy it.
    2015 Stanton Switchback
    1993 Kona Lavadome
  • rycarr18
    Cheers for the reply
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    Chainsuck is quite common, and different frames suffer from the consequences more/less. You're seems to have gotten away quite lightly (Even tho it must hurt on a new bike!)