Checking shifting

paulbingham
paulbingham Posts: 34
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Lst week i decided to look at the gears on my bike. They didnt seem to be shifting well, with teh smaller two gears slipping when on middle chain ring if i out my foot down.
Now i've looked at parktools and was following thier guide to checking and setting gears / shifting. And now i cant change into teh larger chainring! I'd been playing around for over 2hrs trying to get it right. Its now great on the smaller and middle chainrings but just wont move up to largest.
What i was unsure of, was on thier guide, they say set it to the inner gear on front and rear. Now by inner gears i assumed they meant the ones closest to the frame or hub. But do they mean the larger one on front and larger one on rear? I dont think so but wanted to check.

The problem i have is teh cable on front seems too tight to move to larger gear, but if i slacken this off, its very loose on smaller ring. Any ideas where i've gone wrong?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Undo everything, set the limits for each, attach cable (make sure the shifter is clicked all the way out (small ring/cog), fine tune indexing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    The problem i have is teh cable on front seems too tight to move to larger gear, but if i slacken this off, its very loose on smaller ring. Any ideas where i've gone wrong?

It's meant to be loose on the smaller ring as the shifter just lets go of all cable tension on the inner ring. Get the tension right so that the middle ring is correct and then leave the cable and cable tension alone. The inner and outer are set by the the two screws on the derailleur (SRAM ones are logical, with the inner screw setting inner stop position and the outer screw setting the outer stop position.....Shimano derailleurs do it the other way round).