Getting my ba**s back

blacksun
blacksun Posts: 381
edited June 2013 in MTB general
I stopped riding quite a few years ago as snowboarding was taking up pretty much all my free time but I recently found myself buying a rig and wanting to ride again.

Thing is, I can't get downhills as fast as I used to or want to... I've lost it.

Has this happened to anyone else (I'm sure it will have), if yes, how did you conquer your demons? I can't really get out there every weekend due to other commitments, so time will tell I guess.

While looking over the forum it's good to see some of the old names I remember from the old MBUK days.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally ~ W. C. Fields

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I never stopped, but it just seems like a case of getting used to it again, it's taken me years to get to the level that i'm at now, and I'd say I'm a pretty average rider!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    Yeah I've had about 10 years out, with the exception of the odd ride hear and there.

I've noticed that although I've not lost any real fitness I did managed to lose my riding legs, just couldn't push the pedals all day like I could before, I guess thats cos I'm 30 in a few weeks and not 19 any more. With a few rides under my belt I'm getting better now.

Relating to the origonal post, I'm not as good as I once was at the technical stuff but I think that'll come with more practice, which I am really enjoying again.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    You're always going to be a rusty at anything if you haven't done it for ages.

Your body will eventually get used to all the sensations again and you'll be back to normal again. Just give it time and ride more. Don't pressure your self in to getting the mojo back too soon just let it happen.
  • Brown sauce
    Brown sauce Posts: 111
    Watch where the trail ends. It will make you ride faster down hill.
    2015 Stanton Switchback
    1993 Kona Lavadome
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    I had nasty case of this after I bust arm over the winter. I was back on the bike after six weeks, but it took a good three months before I was comfortable on it again and I've only recently started going quickly again. It's all in your head really and how long it takes is largely down to you - some people get over that sort of thing really quickly and others need a bit longer. I know guys who spend two weeks of the bike and take two rides to get back into it and others who can go months without touching one and be back up to speed almost straight away.

Just ride ride within your limits until you're comfortable and then start pushing yourself. For me, strava helped as I could see I was going quicker even if I didn't necessarily feel like I was and made it me push myself that little bit harder than before. Your mileage may vary though - find what works for you and stick with it.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,083
    Yep - my downhill mojo has gone in recent years compared to what I used to do. It started when work projects got a bit tasty and time off with a crash would be an issue and never really got it back.

The thing I have realised is I know what I like and it isn't rock gardens - I prefer fast flowing trails, and therefore thats what I ride now.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Getting older doesn't help, it hurts more than it used to and we've generally got a bit more sense nowadays.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    PaulBox wrote:
    Getting older doesn't help, it hurts more than it used to and we've generally got a bit more sense nowadays.

+1, I'm 40 and after a few big injuries, am definitely more cautious than i used to be. however will still thrash it when i'm feeling in the groove.

secret is to not worry about it. ride at your own speed, if you don't like the look of something, don't ride it. you don't loose any man points for riding to your ability, however i find my riding buddies will take ti p*ss when i stack it riding something i clearly shouldn't of been.

take your time, build up slowly and it'll come back. also perfect excuse to buy a bigger / better bike, let technology make up for limits on talent!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    this thread reminds me of a song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CgkWmKJLuE