Reba fork losing air from + into - chamber

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Got a 2011 Reba Dual Air fork 120mm the one with the power bulges. It keeps losing air from the positive chamber which leaks into the negative chamber and pulls the fork down into the travel. I am assuming that one of the seals has gone on the Dual Air piston.

Thinking of stripping fork and getting the full Rockshox service kit from TfTuned anything else I need to look for when I strip the fork.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Examine the air shafts and make sure there are no scratches or dents. But apart from that, just a seal change. Some well priced kits on ebay.
  • stubs
    Spotted the full service kit on ebay for £29

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221239612116
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs
    Think I have found the problem one of the seals on the Dual Air piston was twisted and not seated properly. It must have been like this since new. Think I got me a bargain took a punt and paid £30 for the forks thinking if I cant fix them they can be sold for spares, seal kit for £29 and I have a virtually new set of spare forks Happy Days :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    :D:D:D
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    All sorted now I found the problem this is the foam oil ring on the Negative piston it is an ex foam ring it is dead. Bits of it were all round the inside of the fork clogging up the seals. I cleaned everything out with IPA and an air line and lots of tiny bits of hard foam came out.

9066566172_2b8152b8b7_z.jpg
    P1020499 by fastmongrel, on Flickr

9064337691_12dce7b125_z.jpg
    P1020496 by fastmongrel, on Flickr
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A crusty ring is a terrible thing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Wow, nothing says 'we forgot to add some oil to the lowers like a crusty dried out o-ring!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • stubs
    Plenty of oil in there I should know I had to clean it up when it missed the drip tray :lol:

It was most likely wrongly fitted all its supposed to do is keep the piston shaft lubed with oil from the oil bath at the bottom it doesnt do any sealing. I bet it was fitted twisted or was damaged before it was fitted probably a Friday afternoon special. Just waiting for the postie to deliver some 5wt oil for the damper and I will give it a test ride on the hardtail.