Garmin 800 not recording route

Murnau
Murnau Posts: 23
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Went out for a quick ride tonight, and afterwards tried to upload the ride from my Garmin 800 to Strava as I've done loads of times before. But it's logged the ride as ridden on a stationary trainer, there's no route at all. I didn't follow any particular course on the 800, just hit Start when I went out and Stop when I got back. It's a bit frustrating, just wondered if anyone knew why this had happened so I can make sure it doesn't do it again.

Comments

• meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Have you tried putting the ride on another site like Endomondo, to narrow down the error. Could be the Garmin or Strava. If it is strava, message them, and they will prolly fix it.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Murnau
    Murnau Posts: 23
    Just tried that - Endomondo has the altitude (which Strava doesn't) but again there's no route on the map. Odd how it gets elevation but not the route.
  • rpherts
    rpherts Posts: 207
    Does it upload it as a tcx or gpx file? You could find it on the disk and look at it, they are text so you might be able to see if it contains the relevant information.

If it has elevation it must have GPS information stored (I thought the altimeter only recorded changes in altitude, not the altitude itself).
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    The 800 stores rides as FIT - so you can't look at it in a text editor.

May be an idea to upload to garmin connect - although if it's not uploading to Strava then it's probably not going to make any difference on GC - it sounds like the file may be corrupt ... it happens sometimes...
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Or get TCXConvertor?
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    If it's come up as a stationary trainer then doesn't that mean it couldn't get a GPS lock/signal?
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    gaddster wrote:
    If it's come up as a stationary trainer then doesn't that mean it couldn't get a GPS lock/signal?

You do have the GPS turned on? Should be on by default.

Menu -- Spanner -- System -- GPS.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Not sure what the symptoms are, but my brother fitted a wheel magnet from eBay and it doesn't stay in place. His Garmin sees the wheel sensor at the start of the ride and uses that for speed and distance. Somewhere on the ride the wheel magnet moves, the Garmin thinks he isn't moving but the signals from the satellites say differently. The Garmin gets confused and thinks the satellite info isn't reliable.

Make sure that your wheel magnet stays in line with your cadence/speed sensor for the whole ride.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Have you deleted all previous data? Eventually you run out of memory and it stops recording. Try wiping everything you have saved online and try again.